1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speakon connectivity??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mustbampeg, May 2, 2010.

1. mustbampeg

mustbampeg

Feb 27, 2007
    Amarillo, TX
    what do you do if you have a modern amp that only has speakon outs, but say, an older cab that only has 1/4" inputs? :confused:

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Add Speakons to the cab. It's a simple procedure.

3. +100 for Bill. Much better than getting adapters for the 1/4" to get them to mate.

Not being sarcastic, here, by the way. Adapters are the obvious answer, but are inferior to adding a speakon to the speaker.

Randy

4. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Most Modern Amps Still Have a 1/4" output as well....some time the speakon out put doubles as both speakon and 1/4"!! It is worth checking it out....if not,i am pretty sure...not 100% but pretty sure i have seen cables that are speakon on one side and 1/4" on the other!!... Just a thought hope it helps!

P.s.... If the speakon jack is also a 1/4' jack...your 1/4" will just plug into the middle of the speakon!! Best Of Luck Mate~Elliot

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Simplest answer that doesn't require drilling and rewiring your cab- buy a speakon - 1/4 cable. Any music store will stock them.

6. That is indeed the simplest answer but certainly not the best. OP as Bill opined it would be better if you change your cabinet to a speakon. I made the switch and eventually EVERYONE is going to have to.

Paul

7. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Simple to make a "custom" cable yourself or convert an existing 1/4-1/4 into a 1/4-Speakon. The Neutrik part is inexpensive and doesn't even require soldering.

I added a Speakon to a cab and it's far more involved, requiring drilling a larger hole into the metal jack plate and soldering. Worth doing if the cab is a keeper, but if it's a classic cab and you plan to sell it.. potential buyers may not appreciate your custom work..

8. mustbampeg

mustbampeg

Feb 27, 2007
    Amarillo, TX
    how can you tell if the output on the amp doubles as a 1/4" output? amp is Genz Benz GBE 1200. i looked on their website, and it says speakon outs only. the reason i ask, is because i dont have the amp in my possession currently.

thx for all the responses!!

9. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The amp is speakon only.

10. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    With adapters and conversion cables, mandatory conversion will not be necessary anytime soon.

Some people simply do not possess the equipment and knowledge necessary to rewire a cabinet. Personally, I'd rather them use a converter than risk a rewire.

11. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    quarter inch to speakon connector. i have one. they work fine.

12. mtizzle

mtizzle

Mar 23, 2008
    I guess I've been living under a rock, but why the switch to speakon? What's the advantage of a speakon connection over a 1/4"?

13. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    More secure connection, higher current capability, so i heard.

14. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    Speakon connectors are a higher current carrying alternative to TS connectors (1/4-inch phone jacks), two-pole twist lock, and XLR connectors for loudspeakers. Speakon connectors lock into their sockets with a twisting motion, making them significantly less prone to disconnection than standard TRS plugs.
    Speakon connectors are fully shielded from human touch, preventing electrical shock risks associated with high power audio amplifiers and unshielded connections. Unlike the standard TS connector, Speakon contacts do not short out upon connection or disconnection; a benefit when working with sound equipment that is in operation.
    Speakon connectors are designed to be unambiguous in their use in speaker cables. With jack and XLR connections, it is possible to use low-current shielded microphone or instrument cables in a high-current speaker application. Speakon cables are intended solely for use in high current audio applications.

as seen here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakon_connector

honestly i make both. the biggest difference i see here is in the cable you use, not necessarily the speakon or 1/4" jacks. the solder type and connection to the jacks also matter a great deal. thats my 2c anyway..

15. I cant even imagine a scenario of a amp/cab cable accidently being knocked out . . . as for the high current thing, I'm curious about that. I've used both w/ my amp and cannot tell the difference.

I recently switched back to 1/4" because in the cramped places I sometimes play it's hard to reach around the amp and feel where the speakon in is. . .

16. |B|rad

|B|rad

Mar 6, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    My amp has only 1/4" outs and my cab has speakon jacks. I don't have any other option but to use an adapter, right?

17. Using a converter is often problematic. If someone is bridging a stereo amp and using phone plugs the shell of the plug is hot with respect to ground. That shell touching any other grounded piece of metal will short out one of the channels. Just plugging a phone plug in momentarily shorts the cable. Doing this with a live amp can cause damage. However it really is each persons choice. Working your way around features that are there to protect you and your expensive equipment is not a choice I would make.

Paul

18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    When bass amps were all 120 watts or so, 1/4" connectors weren't a problem.

Modern amps can bridge to 1000 watts or more, and having exposed metal contacts in a 1/4" connector can be a serious danger to touch. Speakon's are constructed so that you can't accidentally touch the contacts, have more contact surface to transmit that power, and will not overheat.

19. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I've noticed some Speakon jacks actually incorporate a 1/4" jack in the middle, which can be handy.

+1 on just getting a 1/4" - Speakon cable, or converting a 1/4 - 1/4 (hint: buy one of those at double length, cut it in half, add Speakons and you have a spare).

I'm a big fan of Speakon, but not enough so to be hacking my vintage gear. Not when my old tube amps can blow the walls out, no problem with 1/4". :hyper:

20. 1/4" plugs are a PITA to repair in the field, speakons (higher current and more secure) are a snap. I just bought two 1/4" to 1/4" 50 foot PA cables as they were $30 cheaper than Speakon to 1/4". $10 (with shipping costs from Parts Express) and 5 minutes later I had speakon to 1/4" 50 foot cables (12awg by the way). :D

Half the people in the band can't figure out the slide the tab and twist BTW of the speakons :scowl: