Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakon connector question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I know that speakon connectors are better than 1/4" connectors, making a more solid connection in the power chain.

My question, is it more important to have a speakon on the amplifier end of the chain, or the speaker cabinet end of the chain? Or does a 1/4" in the chain ruin the effect of the better connection all together?

My reason for asking, my cabs have speakon (and 1'4") jacks. One of the amps I am considering buying only has 1/4" speaker outs. Another amp I am considering has speakons, so it is a moot point in that respect.

2. Your last guess is the correct one. Your amplifier only sees an output impedance, not the derivative of Z at each point along the cable. A bottleneck is a bottleneck.

3. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thats what I was thinking. Thanks for the quick response :)

4. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
  5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Cool, thanks for the tech information :)

6. i would say it is a lot more important to have the speakon jack going into the cab and the 1/4 from the amp...as you do not want your speaker cable to come out of your cab while you are using your amp...this is because you can get shocked from the exposed live contacts of a 1/4 jack..and also it can short and damage your amp. but if it falls out at the amp side then its not live at all...and if its a speakon it wont fall out, and there is no exposed contacts.
    preferably you would want speakons at both ends of the cable..but deffenatly at the cab if not both;

7. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Simple answer: If Speakon connections are far superior to 1/4" connections, *any* Speakon connections you can use are better than 1/4".

It doesn't matter where...take 'em if you can get 'em.

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yep.

Definitely concur with tornadobass.

I will say that any degradation of the signal from a 1/4 inch connector, bad splice, thin wire, or whatever cannot be *undone* by using a Speakon, or fatter wire, magic box, etc, elsewhere.

But using better connectors & wire wherever possible will help avoid degrading sound any more.

And just because you have a 1/4 inch connector in line does not mean the signal is guaranteed toast. It just raises the chances.