Speakon connectors and bridge mono

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ivanthetrble, Jan 31, 2005.

1. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    I recently made the switch to Speakon cables for my rig and for our band's PA as well. I'm using a Stewart World 2.1 amp and most of the time I run one cab off each of the two channels the Stewart has. The Stewart amps only have binding post, banana or 1/4 plugs for the output. I took some 14 gauge wire from the binding posts of each channel of the amp and ran them to female Speakons that I mounted in the rear fan panel of my rack, one for each channel. Works great, but here is the rub. What if I want to use the amp in bridge mono? When you run the Stewart in bridge mono you use the positive output of each channel. Could I run another wire from the positive output of each channel and then send it to third Speakon female jack that would be use exclusively for bridge mono operation? Since this would represent an open circut I can't see where this should be a problem when runnnig the amp in stereo. Anyone tried this? Thoughts?
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    good question....bump
  3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Add another Speakon jack to the panel in the back of your rack, and use it only for bridged mono.
  4. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    I figured that would be OK. I notice that my PLX 3002 only has two Speakon connectors. Looks like you just use channel one for the bridge mono output? Wait, looks like the channel one output must be wired a bit differently so 1+ and 2+ are used instead of 1+ and 1-. Hummm, interesting. Thanks!