Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakon help please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by banditcosmo, Oct 25, 2002.

1. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    OK, I just bought an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro and I want to run one 4 ohm cab mono bridged. On the back of the amp it says 1+ hot, 2+ return. I went to my music store and they gave me a speakon jack only (no cable) The jack has one terminal with 1+ and the other terminal is 1-.
    Can I use this jack?

The bag the jack came in says 2 pole. I was going to cut a 2 wire speaker cable and put this speakon on it.
    Thanks, Tony

2. banditcosmo

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    can anyone help? my music store closes in 15 min.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I don't think you can, and I wouldn't try it! Speakons are wired different for bridged mode.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    You need a 4 pole Speakon plug to hook up to your SVT. The 2 pole plug they sold you doesn't have the necessary terminals.

Most all solid-state power amps these days use 4 pole Speakon jacks, so I don't understand why your local music store only stocks the 2 pole plugs.

5. banditcosmo

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    What kind of speaker wire do I use? Can I use 2 conductor cable ? Then wire it black to the pin 1+ and white to the 2+ ?

6. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    You need the NL4FC Speakon connector. It's easy to attach it to a 2 conductor cable - you only need a screwdriver. I recommend you use heavy gauge wire.

7. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    banditcosmo,
    I recently bought the same amp, When you buy them new in the box they come with a speakon / 1/4" cable wired for mono-bridged.
    I happened to pick up 10 feet of speakon cable and 2 extra 4 pole jacks because I didn't know this.

Yes, Speakon cable is 2 conductor speaker wire. You can wire it to a 1/4" plug with black to the pin 1+ and white to the 2+.

The reason most store sell 2 pin speakon cables is because 99% of all speakon connections are wired 1+ / 1-.

BTW, what cabinet do you have that can handle 1600 watts? I use one 600w for one cab and 600w for the other. That amp is LOUD with headroom to spare.
    Best of luck.

8. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Speakon connectors come in 2, 4, and 8 pole versions, though I have yet to encounter anything that uses the 8 pole.

Many modern power amps use the 4 pole jacks so you can get stereo or bridged mono connections with a single connector. You can use either 2 or 4 conductor wire with the 4 pole plugs.

The Neutrik NL4FC will take up to 12 gauge wire, and that's what I recommend. In fact, that's what I'm using on my QSC RMX.

I suggest you mark the amp end of any bridge mode cable you make!

9. banditcosmo

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I bought the amp used so it didn't come with the speakon.

I'm using an Eden 410-XLT I think I should be ok with that cab.

I was going to use a speaker cable I already have (premade) and cut the 1/4" jack off and put the speakon on the end. It's a standard speaker cable I bought at my music store. Would that be ok to do that?

10. blackcircuit

blackcircuit

Sep 27, 2002
    hey man use a monster cable is a lot easier using the banana plugs

11. blackcircuit

blackcircuit

Sep 27, 2002
    hey man use a monster cable is a lot easier using the banana plugs

12. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    That cab is 700 watts.
    Unless you are weathy enough to buy a new cab I would be careful. The Edens are built well but any speaker will fry with too much juice through it.
    If you use one side of your SVT-4Pro you have 600w. That is incredibly loud, clear and punchy and a great match for you cab.

13. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am currently using an Aguilar GS112. Does anyone know if it takes a 2 pin Spekaon or a 4 pin speakon?
    I have hooked a 4 pin to it and it is not working, any ideas?

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    He should be alright.

I think he was just planning for extra headroom from the power amp.

Just be careful and watch/listen to your speakers, you will be abel to hear stress. If you do, turn down a bit.

Peace
    Nick