speakon inputs in a 1/4" cab, how?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Oct 13, 2003.

1. does anybody know anywhere in michign i can get a speakon input put in a cab with only 1/4" inputs? i am going to be getting an avatar cab and i need speakon inputs fr it, so any help would be appreciated.

erik krueger
  2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    you could either do an adapter cable..or install it yourself

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH

Also, I've yet to see a Guitar Center or a Sam Ash store that didn't carry them. Any music stores near you? Odds are that they'd have some raw speak-on jacks . . .
  4. awesome, thanks for the quick response, guys. there are a few music shops around here (guitar center, elderly music, RIt music, etc.) and i'm sure they have raw jacks, but how would i install it, can anybody tell me how via internet? or is there a guide somewhere?

5. Using an adapter cable would be easier, like steve-o said. I was running a speakon to 1/4" from my iAmp to my CXL-112, as the iAmp 350 did not have speakon outputs.

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I put a Speakon jack on my Avatar CB112 cab.

Bought a cable and jack from Pro Cables (they've had a banner ad here lately). Went to Menards and bought a 7/8" hole saw for metal for about $9. I think a 1" hole would work, too...had to file the 7/8" hole slightly.

To hook up, just connect the wires originally going to the 1/4" jack...+ goes to +1 and - goes to -1. Leave +/- 2 unconnected.

BTW, I originally did this to biamp the cab with a GK 700RB, but decided that I liked the combination better full range and reverted from biamp wiring to just the +/- 1 connections.
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    A 1 in. hole is too big...it needs to be 15/16 or something like that.

You can get Speakon jacks and prepunched jack cups from Parts Express. Also, I saw that some guy sells an assembled jack cup with two Speakons for something like $19.50 on eBay. He pop rivets the jacks to the cup and I'm not too sure about how vibration resistant it would be long term.

Anyway, if you bought an extra jack cup, just cut another hole in the back of our cabinet and secure it with wood screws.

Or, take your cabinet to Low Down Sound in Ferndale (?) and see if they'll install one for you.