Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakon NL4FC and a NL4FX?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by atldeadhead, Nov 13, 2003.

1. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Well, either I'm not that good with searches or this particular question has never come up. Hopefully one of you smart guys can fill me in.

What's the difference between a Speakon NL4FC and a NL4FX?

And which one should I use in conjunction with an SWR SM500 in bridged mono pushing a Hartke 4.5xl? The speakon end is for the amp, the hartke only has 1/4" plugs.

Will either one work? They both fit the jack and both sound like they're working. What gives?

Muchas Gracias compadres.

--sb

2. Either one will work, there's just a slight difference in the two cosmetically, however both are 4 pin speakon connectors so if that's what you need, it doesn't matter which you use. I was told by a Neutrik rep that the NL4FX is a revised version, and the new standard for Neutrik.
    Hope this helps.....

3. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Ok. So apparently the connector I have is alright. Another question if you don't mind.

On this website, procablesnsound.com, they mention that when you order a Speakon cable you can order it bridged mono, (1+, 2+ at amp & 1-, 1+ at cab). Huh? what the heck does that mean?

Since I'm running my SM500 bridged mono, is this the kind of cable I *should* be using?

I'm thinking it doesn't matter because I'm only using a Speakon connector on one side, the amp side. I think the 1+, 2+ at amp & 1-, 1+ at cab stuff is only if your using speakon's on both sides of the cable. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In the past my amps have always used 1/4" plugs. All of this speakon stuff is brand new to me and quite confusing.

4. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Come SM 500 owners. Help a brother out with some info, if ya please.

5. All of the SWR speakon jacks are wired 1+/1- , as is pretty much standard for North American applications. You need not order a "bridged mono" cable, it WILL NOT WORK. Your amp has no signal going to pin 2 at all, it is wired essentially the same as a 1/4" speaker cable, hot and ground. Some european speakers are wired pin 2 hot, but pretty much every North American manufacturer uses only pin 1 on a speakon connector. Pin 2 is essentially there to provide a second signal in the same connector, for example, some mid/high PA boxes ( some EV, for example) use both pin 1 and 2 for two separate signals, the mid signal uses pin 1 and the high frequency uses pin 2, so you need only one cable to plug into your PA enclosure, and the passive crossover is bypassed in the PA box. You could also use a speakon cable for a stereo enclosure if it was so equipped, Pin 1 for one side, pin 2 for the other, rather than 2 separate cables for R/L. Hope this helps....

6. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    HM,

Thanks so much for your help with all of this. I had a heck of time finding any good information about any of this on the Internet. You've taught me a lot.

Have a great weekend my friend.

--Scott