Speakon out to Banana in?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattyN, Sep 2, 2003.

1. MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    my Ampeg SVT 3 has a speakon jack that i want to use...

my cab, a Bag End S-15D, has dual banana inputs.

can i use these together?

2. You simply need to take a standard speakon to speakon lead and remove one of the speakon plugs and secure it to the binding posts.

Most binding posts will allow you to simply screw a bare wire into the post. If not you will need to buy a Banana plug and secure the wires to that.

Just make sure that you check which wire is positive (+) and which is negative (-)

Or just make a new lead up
    You can buy all of the bits from most decent electrical / music shops

In the end you may just want to add a speakon socket onto the cab..

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I'd avoid the bare wire...fine for fixed installations, but always a chance for a stray strand of wire to go where it shouldn't (or solder the ends).

I'm using older SWR gear and it's banana to banana cables for that stuff. The plugs can fit some nice heavy wire in the connection holes. Again, solder the ends before installing and use some form of strain relief...either the holes in the plugs or a little cable tie on the wire next to the plug.
  4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Pro Co Guardian Fat Max Speaker Cable

Speakon to Banana 8 guage Speaker Cable

Gold welds.
    Life Time no fault Replacement Warranty.

Pro Co Spec's---

" Behold the ultimate speaker cable: Fat Max."

"A massive 8-gauge cable consisting of four 11-gauge conductors in a special bi-wired geometry, Fat Max is designed to deliver the maximum damping factor for tight, chest-slamming lows and a wide, clearly defined audio spectrum. The unique AmeriQuad geometry reduces crossover network interaction and cable inductance, resulting in less stray capacitance for the cleanest possible high-frequency response and superb sound stage. Designed for a lifetime of use and abuse, Fat Max features sonically welded terminations and the best connectors made today."
  5. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Yummy! That should do nicely...although perhaps a bit of overkill sonically and cost-wise.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yup! Much much cheaper to make your own, and it's easy. Even 16ga cable is fine for a short run (6' or less).
  7. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Try avcable good cable, fair price, choice of different connectors.
  8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Overkill is a good thing.

What? I just don't understand.

Plenty of people pay $40 for Monster Bass Instrument cable,
    but won't pay $35 for top-of-the-line speaker cable.

Many are concerned with the best instrument cable,
    the best strings, the best speakers and cab.s,...
    and go to great lengths and expense to aquire anything that has "Mojo."

Most Bass Players constantly search for high quaility stuff that squeezes every last bit of tone out of their gear...

But the story often changes when it comes to speaker cable.
    Then it's off to Radio Shack for lamp cord.

Go Figure.
  9. I needed the same cable (but in reverse- amp=bananna, cab=speakon). I run nothing but Monster Pro 1000 cable throughout my rig. This is the exact cable I bought (w/part number): "3 ft. - Speak-On to Banana Plugs" Model # SP1000-S-3SPMT, inventory #604308, price- $34.95 ea. Here's a link to their site-

Monster Cable

The price isn't horrible and if it EVER fails they will replace it free of charge, as with anything Monster sells. I know that sounds strange but they really stand behind their warranty.
  10. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I was referring to 8 ga cable being overkill...even 12 ga is plenty heavy.

But certainly, speaker cable is not the place to cut corners...get a decent one...but "decent" comes in several levels. That's all :)
  11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's true. But given how inexpensive good wire is, you'd have to really scrape bottom to get a speaker cable that isn't decent. Good connectors (Speakon, dual banana plugs, et al) are usually the biggest cost.
  12. MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!!
  13. FuzzyDustmite

Sep 2, 2003
  14. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That Fat Max cable looks great!

I have a iAMP 800 with speakon outs and Eden cabs with 1/4" and banana plugs. So, I had a sound company make me some speakon to banana cables. it cost me $17 each for three-foot 12-guage cables. They work well.
  15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Another option is to replace the S15-D jackplate with a new production one - they now have Speakons. I did it to both of mine.