Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakon/Quarter Inch Adapter for Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by armybass, Dec 22, 2004.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I purchased a used QSC 850 and it is my first pre-amp/power amp rig. On the output section of the power amp the option is only for Speakons and banana plugs. One of the channels has a speakon to quarter inch adapter plugged into it. This came with the amp so I have no idea where it came from. I suppose I can plug my cab into this via a quarter inch cable.

I know this seems like a real stupid question but I am totally ignorant about power amps ect.

Please help an old bass idiot out.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it sounds like you're right. those adapters can be had pretty cheap, so you can go out and get another one if you want. I have a friend who uses those in his pa.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Be careful though, some of those all-in-one adapters have pretty low power ratings. Is it one with the 1/4" molded into the body of the adapter?

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Is that the low-power rated type? One of my bands uses those on one of the PA amps.

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    so the adapter melts. so what? jeez, you sure can be picky sometimes. :p

6. Passinwind

Hey, I'm a longtime electronics tech, I get paid to be picky. But I'm also all about evil smelling, toxic fumes and stuff. :cool:

Fuzzbass: yeah, the molded ones that I've seen have all been rated for 200 watts max, I think. There may be beefier ones out there, dunno. If you make your own or buy one with a separate 1/4 female fitting, you can up that significantly.

7. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Yes, it is the one that is all part of the speak-on connector....is that good?

8. Passinwind

How do you feel about toxic, evil smelling fumes and stuff? :eyebrow:

Seriously, those things are a potential problem waiting to happen. You can graft a Speakon end onto your 1/4" equipped cables with nothing but a wire stripper and a phillips head screwdriver. A 2 conductor Speakon is like $3-4, cheap, no? I've used those Hosa adapters in a pinch, but I've also seen plastic 1/4" jacks melt down catastrophically in big power amps, and the outcome isn't all that pretty!

9. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    My wife would say that I would feel right at home :D

10. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks for the info man, I'll look into another option. Maybe I will look into a cab(GK) that takes a Speak-On connector.

11. Passinwind

There's nothing wrong with a cable that's Speakon (or banana plugs) on one end and 1/4" on the other, but knock yourself out if it feeds GAS! :cool:

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1

i still like the idea of the melting adapter though :p