1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speakon question: Bridged amp, 2 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by submelodic, Sep 3, 2003.

1. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I'm running a bridged amp into a 2 cab setup. The cable from the amp to the first cab is configured +1/+2.

A second cable is connecting the output of the first cab to the input of the second cab.

How should the pins on the second cable be configured? Should it be +1/+2 or +1/-1? Any expertise would be appreciated!

2. I see from your profile you're using a QSC, so you should be good for the Bridged cable. The other cable should be normally wired. The only cable-end that should have both positives is the one coming from Channel One of the PLX. All other cable-ends should be +1/-1 (normal).

note: you probably know this...
    It would be the same as using both red bananna connections +1 and +2.

3. I assume you are refering to the speakon connectors.

Most amps running in mono bridge require the output speakon to be wired so that positive is on 1+ and negative is on the 2-...but that is just for the output stage of the amp.

The lead at the speaker end should be wired as normal ie posative is 1+ negative is 1-
    So when you plug in the other cab just use a normal wired speaker cable into the output of the first speaker.

you will have to mark the end of the speaker lead that goes into the amp ( a bit of electrical tape would do it) so that you know which speaker lead goes where.

Most speakers will only have a mono input so that if you simply left a 4 pole speakon lead wired as standard the negative send from the amp would not actually go anywhere as the speaker would not have 2+/2- pins

Hope this is a bit clearer than mud...

Dave

4. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks! My confusion arose because I've been using a single cab with the cable configured +1/+2 at BOTH ends.

Oddly enough, this seems to have worked fine. How can that be?

5. Maybe your cab does have a 4 pole speakon connector...and they are wired together in case of this very setup...I duno

Will check out my Goliath 6x10 as I may need to do the very same thing if I need to use my backup amp (Grand Prix and power amp bridged through the same type of Speakon 4 pole)

Anybody else?