Speakon question: Bridged amp, 2 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by submelodic, Sep 3, 2003.

1. submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I'm running a bridged amp into a 2 cab setup. The cable from the amp to the first cab is configured +1/+2.

A second cable is connecting the output of the first cab to the input of the second cab.

How should the pins on the second cable be configured? Should it be +1/+2 or +1/-1? Any expertise would be appreciated!
  2. I see from your profile you're using a QSC, so you should be good for the Bridged cable. The other cable should be normally wired. The only cable-end that should have both positives is the one coming from Channel One of the PLX. All other cable-ends should be +1/-1 (normal).

note: you probably know this...
    It would be the same as using both red bananna connections +1 and +2.
  3. I assume you are refering to the speakon connectors.

Most amps running in mono bridge require the output speakon to be wired so that positive is on 1+ and negative is on the 2-...but that is just for the output stage of the amp.

The lead at the speaker end should be wired as normal ie posative is 1+ negative is 1-
    So when you plug in the other cab just use a normal wired speaker cable into the output of the first speaker.

you will have to mark the end of the speaker lead that goes into the amp ( a bit of electrical tape would do it) so that you know which speaker lead goes where.

Most speakers will only have a mono input so that if you simply left a 4 pole speakon lead wired as standard the negative send from the amp would not actually go anywhere as the speaker would not have 2+/2- pins

Hope this is a bit clearer than mud...

4. submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks! My confusion arose because I've been using a single cab with the cable configured +1/+2 at BOTH ends.

Oddly enough, this seems to have worked fine. How can that be?
  5. Maybe your cab does have a 4 pole speakon connector...and they are wired together in case of this very setup...I duno

Will check out my Goliath 6x10 as I may need to do the very same thing if I need to use my backup amp (Grand Prix and power amp bridged through the same type of Speakon 4 pole)

Anybody else?