Speakon Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassasaurus, Oct 12, 2003.

1. bassasaurus

bassasaurus Zonker Supporting Member

May 24, 2003
    Thanks to Bob Lee for the following info but I still have quesitons. He writes: For bridged mono operation, the Speakon connector that plugs into the amp must be wired to pins 1+ and 2+. I have a QSC 2402 going into an Epifani UL410 through a Fatmax speakon cable. I have taken the cable apart and cannot tell how it is wired. I am thinking standard wiring is 1+ and 1-. Should I not run the amp in bridged mode until I figure this out? Any suggestions?
  2. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    You are right. Standard wiring on the speaker end must be 1+ 1-.

I recently modified a Speakon cable to use with my PLX1202. Just take one end and switch the wires around.
    If I remember correctly, The white wire was 1+ and the black was 1-. Just switch the black wire to the 2+ on one end and put some tape or nail polish on it to tell you that end plugs into the amplifier.

Your color codes might be different so look at both ends.
    AMP: 1+ positive, 2+ negative.
    Speaker: 1+ positive, 1- negative.

Look at the side you choose to be the speaker end to find the right color.

Speakons are great cause you dont need to soder. just tighten the allen wrench screws down and your done.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    check the owners manual and they should tell you 1+,2+

I wonder if there is a dedicated 'bridged' output that they might wire it 1+ 1-??

I'm pretty sure if they tell you to plug into the left or right speakon for 'bridged' then it WILL PROBABLY be 1+ 2+.

OK I looked at the manual online (page 11) flip the dip switch to bridged and plug your speakon into the top jack, but first make sure its wired to 1+ and 2+ for the plug at the amp.

it seems to indicate that the 3 'parallel' dip switches just above the stereo/bridge swith need to be to the right also...

4. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    THis is in response to your PM.

"Thanks for the reply. What does this wiring change accomplish and what harm is done in not doing it?"

You will have more power and headroom. Set the amp dip switch to bridge mono and wire the speakon end on the amp side correctly and you will notice a huge difference in power.
    Thats if your speakers can handle it...
    I see the plx2402 puts out 2400 watts in bridge mono, 4 ohm. Your speaker is rated at 1000 watts. Is it 8 or 4 ohm? If its a 4 ohm cab this would not be wise.