1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speakon Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumpin4, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Thumpin4

Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    I have a speakon connector model # NA4LJ. The tip is +1 and sleeve is -1. I just got a QSC PLX1602 power amp and I'm going to be running the amp in bridge mode. On the back of the amp, the bridge mode for the speakon connection is pos +1 neg +2. Will the connector I have work or will I have to buy one to run the amp in bridged mode like I want to do?

Thanks, Jody

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If I understand correctly, you have the one you need to run bridged.

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

You need the speakon that has the 1+, 2+, 1- and 2- connectors on it. Then it needs to be rewired so that the wire that is standard on the 1- is attached to the 2+. If this speakon you have has all 4 connectors then all you need is a screwdriver to rewire it.

I did this about 3 weeks ago to a speakon for this exact same amp.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If your connector truly is an NL4LJ then yes, you can use it. You'll have to move the connection from 1- to 2+ but that's easily accomplished with a No. 1 phillips screwdriver.

You'll know when you open it up if you have 4 terminals. They're all marked, it's kind of hard to see sometimes. If you only have 2 terminals, you'll need to buy a new plug. The body of the NL2 and NL4 are the same size.

If you have a speakon at the other end of the cable for the cabinet, make sure you mark the one that's bridged so you don't get them reversed. Re-reading your original post, I'm guessing that the other end is 1/4 in. It's probably a good idea to mark the cable anyway for future reference...

5. Thumpin4

Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    Thanks for all the info......... :cool:

6. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yep you got it right. Positive at amp end is +1, negative at amp end is +2, positive at cab end is +1, negative at cab end is -1. That's how bridged it wired up for the QSC amps.