Speakon Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumpin4, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    I have a speakon connector model # NA4LJ. The tip is +1 and sleeve is -1. I just got a QSC PLX1602 power amp and I'm going to be running the amp in bridge mode. On the back of the amp, the bridge mode for the speakon connection is pos +1 neg +2. Will the connector I have work or will I have to buy one to run the amp in bridged mode like I want to do?

Thanks, Jody
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    If I understand correctly, you have the one you need to run bridged.
  3. You need the speakon that has the 1+, 2+, 1- and 2- connectors on it. Then it needs to be rewired so that the wire that is standard on the 1- is attached to the 2+. If this speakon you have has all 4 connectors then all you need is a screwdriver to rewire it.

I did this about 3 weeks ago to a speakon for this exact same amp.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    If your connector truly is an NL4LJ then yes, you can use it. You'll have to move the connection from 1- to 2+ but that's easily accomplished with a No. 1 phillips screwdriver.

You'll know when you open it up if you have 4 terminals. They're all marked, it's kind of hard to see sometimes. If you only have 2 terminals, you'll need to buy a new plug. The body of the NL2 and NL4 are the same size.

If you have a speakon at the other end of the cable for the cabinet, make sure you mark the one that's bridged so you don't get them reversed. Re-reading your original post, I'm guessing that the other end is 1/4 in. It's probably a good idea to mark the cable anyway for future reference...
  5. Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    Thanks for all the info......... :cool:
  6. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yep you got it right. Positive at amp end is +1, negative at amp end is +2, positive at cab end is +1, negative at cab end is -1. That's how bridged it wired up for the QSC amps.