1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speakon question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassLift, Jul 7, 2012.

1. BassLift

BassLift

May 3, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    When i first upgraded from a combo amp to a real rig i was introduced to speakon cables. The guitar shop i bought my GB shuttle 9 head at hooked me up with one and i plugged in and was ready to rock. I've since upgraded my entire rig again and am only now starting to read more about the different wiring configurations in with speakon cables. I've been hearing a lot of emphasis on the difference between the amp end and the cab end of the cable and am now concerned because I haven't been treating either end of the cable differently. The sound i've been getting is incredible, but i gig frequently and the speakon cable isn't labeled on either end, so i never discern one end from another when setting up the rig. Any thoughts?

2. There should be NO difference on either end of a standard speakon cable. May be you have read about a special wired "Bridge cable" for some amps. Those need to be labeled (and are labeled) for amp end only so the two power amps in the head or PA amp can be bridged together. Chance are very good this does not apply to you ;)

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    With the Shuttle 9.0 the ordinary Speakon[SUP]®[/SUP] cable is the correct one. It doesn't matter which end goes where.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The standard connection on bass heads is already Speakon NL4FX (4 conductor) which is what you need for bi-amping, Speakon is a brand not a connection. I have yet to see a bass head or cab with a NL2FX receptacle, they all use 4 conductor ends. They are not compatible to prevent damage to gear.

A basic/standard speakon connector would technically be a 2 pole, NL2FX ends, and cannot handle bi-amping to my knowledge. People who make their own cables cut costs by using 2 conductor wire with 4 conductor ends, this will be fine unless you bi-amp with said cable.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, Neutrik is the brand and Speakon is their line of connectors. The NL2FX connectors are cheaper than the NL4FX, so they would be the ones to use to save money.

6. Hi.

^This.

The NL2FX is considerably cheaper, and AFAIK & IME is the "standard" in any amp/cab that's designed for mono or single channel operation.

To use NL4FX in an application it offers no benefit would be and is a bad manufacturing desicion.

Speaking about high volume products like GB, GK, SWR etc. obviously. In boutique, there's no difference.

Regards
    Sam

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    This thread should be a Sticky.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Some instrument cables, for instance Monster Cable makes one, where they specify an instrument and an amp end. They claim that the signal flows better in one direction than the other. This is marketing hype. As others have said, it doesn't matter which end is which with a standard speakon cable.

NL4 can accept four wires, NL2 two wires. Many amp manufacturers use NL4 connectors even though the amps and cabs are not wired to use four conductors. The reasoning for using this connector is that you can use either an NL4 or an NL2 cable. An NL2 cable can plug into an NL4 connector but not the other way around. It makes it a little easier for the user.

9. I made the mistake of using the two pole versions and I find them clunky and awkward. I dislike them intensely. I changed them all to the four pole versions. The difference in price is nothing in the larger scheme of things.

10. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Wha... :eek: OMG please tell me this isnt true.

11. It comes from Monster (waste of cash) Cables. Very true. :)

12. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    The "Amp end/Cab end" applies to +1/+2 > +1/-1 wiring used when operating a power amp in Bridged Mode. The easiest way to keep them properly oriented is to use an NL2 for the "Cab End".

Careful with Monster-talk ... they'll probably sue ya.

:rollno:

13. They are welcome to try! They have more to loose by the attempt than anyone else. ;)