Speakon questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bob C, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Soon I'll be using my QSC power amp for the first time, so I bought a new speaker cable. It's 1/4" on one end (that's what my cabinet takes) and speakon on the other.

I didn't notice until I got home that it says "mono bridged speakon 1+/2+ to 1/4" TS". Does this mean that the cord is wired for bridged application and that I can't use it for single channel operation?

Furthermore, the QSC amp is designed with speakon output 1 to automatically bridge when in that mode (like when you use the two hots with a banana plug). Will using this cord cancel the effect of that output jack?

Michael N, tell me what you know.:)

2. Yep, that cable is for bridged operation, and it is the
    correct one for plugging into channel 1 of a QSC PLX-series

And yes, you are correct that you cannot use it for single channel operation. However, if you unscrew the Speakon connector and move the wire from +2 to -1, then it will be the correct configuration for single channel operation.

This should be easy to do because Speakons aren't soldered when assembled correctly, you use a small allen wrench to loosen the terminal screw, remove the wire, plug it into the hole you want, and tighten that screw.

I note, however, that the Carvin speakon cable I bought DOES have the connectors soldered. Lame.
  3. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN

I have the PLX 3002 amp. The owner's manual said nothing about which type of speakon to use, implying (to me) that the amp's internal wiring did the "magic".

There was a thread about 2 conductor, 4 conductor and 8 conductor speakons. Is my current problem where all that becomes relevant?

It's an Ampeg cord. I'm pretty sure the end doesn't twist off. It sounds like it's going to break when I turn it counter-clockwise.

Not to be obsessive. I can buy another cord. But I got this one at GC, 150 miles from home. The salesman knew nothing (he was a guitar player). I just want to hook my amp up the right way.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  5. The Speakon NL4FC connector is the one I use with my QSC PLX-2402. I'm sure it's appropriate for your 3002 as well.

The "magic" is just in the way QSC has wired the rear panel channel 1 speakon. Internally, they've wired all four contacts. If you use the cable you have as is, it will make contact with +1 and +2 on the amp's Speakon, and you will have a bridged connection (note that you also have to switch the DIP switches to bridged mode).

If you rewire it as I described, and then plug it into the channel one output, it will make contact with the +1 and -1 on the amp's rear panel speakon, and it will be appropriate for stereo or non-bridged operation.

You DON'T need an 8 conductor speakon, and the 2 conductor ones aren't as easy to find as the 4 conductor ones. You really only need to use two wires in that connector, but like I said, the 4 wire connector is easier to find.

Sorry, I don't know how to make it more clear. Perhaps the URL Brian posted will help.
  6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Thanks guys. For some reason, the Crown manual download didn't work. But I think I'm clear on everything now. I also called QSC customer support to get more details on some things in the manual.

Michael, you're saying the NL4FC has four conductors, but only implements two of them at a time - and you rewired it from its original configuration to suit your application...right?

By the way, I DID know about the bridge switch and the "magic". :)