Speakon Rewiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NLNR, Mar 2, 2006.

1. NLNR

Mar 2, 2006

I'm trying to work out if this is possible and how to do it!

I've got a mesa Road-ready Powerhouse junior cab (4x8's 1x15 1xhorn) which kicks arse, however I'm about to upgrade my amp head with an equally arse-kicking ampeg with biamped speakon connections. The thing is my mesa is somewhat old school and although has a passive crossover does not have speakon connections. Aparrently the when an amp is biamped properly with matching speakers it sounds a whole lot clearer than using the passive crossover built into the amp.

So I'm basically wanting to get the best out of my gear. Is there anyway of rewiring my cab to include a speakon jack as well as a 1/4 input? I heard from a GK rep that it can be done but just make sure you include in the fuse for the horn as well which of course makes sence.

2. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    To add just the speakon to the 1/4" is trivial. To be able to biamp, you will also need to add a switch, since the crossover is taken out of the circuit when biamping. To do so, basically, the woofer goes to the 1+/1- terminals, and the tweeter to the 2+/2- terminals, through any form of tweeter protection that you may decide to keep. You can just unplug the existing wires from the woofer and tweeter, and add the speakon (easy quick fix) and then the stock crossover is intact if you want to put it back to normal, or, as I said above, you can add a switch to allow you to go back and forth from 1/4" to biamp speakon. (GK uses switches in this manner on thier cabs as well - you can either run the 1/4 and speakon two wire full range, or the speakon only in biamp.)

- Tim