Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakon to 1/4" jack wiring diagram please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by =^..^=, Jun 16, 2003.

1. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I've got a pair of 4 pole speakons and a pair of 1/4" jacks I want to connect up (into two leads obviously)

Is there a 'standard way of doing this ?

The amp will be running in stereo mode - not bridged.

Best I can find is +1 to tip and -1 to shield.

Thanks

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    that will work just fine. You don't HAVE to use the other poles. unless you are bi-amping or running bridged, you need not worry about the 2+ and 2-

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
  4. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Thanks for looking that out for me Big Joe - strangely enough on the whole internet that was the best one I had found.

When you look at the diagram they show its not entirely clear where the dashed lines from the amp go to. I had guessed my thoughts above - so this thread was looking for confirmation.

Going to get my soldering iron out later and make up some cables :)

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I hope you mean sleeve. ;)

If so, you've got it right. In general, don't use shielded wire for speaker cabling.

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i had to look it up myself a while ago. i am making up a bridged one soon... :)

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You must get sick of me asking "Why?" all the time Bob, but....um....er... (nervous giggle)...out of curiosity.... Why?

8. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Good point Bob, the stuff I have is nice and beefy. No shield - just two big fat copper cables.

Since you are here lets wander off thread

Whats the QSC Powerlight range like for bass ? I kinda fancy a 400w a side amp which weighs less than 20 lb in my rack.

Thanks in advance

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Hi Pete,

Most shielded cables are for instrument or line-level signals in high-impedance (i.e., very low current) connections. The conductors are relatively small and there's small but significant capacitance between the inner conductor and the shield. Those are two traits that are not desirable in speaker cabling.

There are shielded speaker cables, but they are somewhat rare beasts, mainly used for installed systems in electrically inhospitable environments.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    They're great for bass. Mark Browne (Melissa Etheridge, Simple Minds, et al), for one, uses a couple PL 1.8 amps.

However, the PowerLight Series is designed primarily for touring and large sound systems. As such, they have features that you don't really need for instrument amplification ... so my advice is if you don't need those features, don't pay extra for them. For bass, the PLX amps are a better deal--much more bang for the buck in that respect.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Sorry to resurect an old thread but I've just opened up a speakon lead and noticed something.

It's seems like it wired for stereo (+1 and -1). However it's also got a short red wire connecting +1 to +2, and a short blue wire connecting -1 and -2. What's that all about?

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Looks like someone wanted to be as ready for a speaker that was wired to 2+ and 2- as for one wired to 1+ and 1-. ;) Loaded for bear, so to speak.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Oh is that all it is? I guess it's obvious now that I know the answer - thanks Bob.

I've been given the wonderful taks of sorting through the boxes of leads and chords in the warehouse and deciding what to keep, what to get rid of, and what to canibalise to solder up something useful.... We get to set up a PA occasionally and test out new products, but have a billion of the wrong type of leads. Of course we've never got the correct ones :)

What makes it all the more embarasing is that whenever word gets out that we're putting something through it's paces, all the local dealers find an excuse to be "in the area so I thought I'd pop in for a visit". We don't have a showroom as such, but it turns into a sales demo every time.

Thanks to you guys I'll have all the correct leads handy next time.