Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakon to amp bridging question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davelowell, Nov 21, 2003.

1. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    i looked in the search function, but i have a specific question.

i have a plx 1602, mesa road ready 2x15 4 ohm.

i want to bridge my amp. i connect the amp side 1+ and 2+, right? which one do i change? white or black. it is wired up 1+ 1+ now.

aside from the wiring, do you think it is safe to run 1600 watts into my cab? obviously, i won't need all of that, i am looking for headroom. the cable is 1/4 inch on the cab side, is that ok, or should i try to make the cab accept speakon?

thanks for all help in advance.

dave

2. Picker

Picker

Nov 10, 2003
    What wattage is your cab rated for?

By the way.... I have a Bridged mono neutrik to 1/4" speaker cable I'm not using (see my post titled "Crest Amp Help... Please".

:D

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Your cable is probably wired to 1+ and 1- of the Speakon. Change the wire at 1- over to 2+ instead.

A Speakon connection on your cabinet would be an improvement over 1/4", but it may or may not be worth the hassle. If it's easy to do, go for it. If not, don't bother unless the 1/4" connection starts giving you problems.

I don't know if your cabinet is safe to use with the PLX 1602 in bridged mono. What's its power rating?

4. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    i have towo 8 ohm 400 watt ev's in there, so either 800 or 400 watts.

i have a speakon to 1/4 inch, i just want to know if it's safe to go with that much power.

thanks, dave

5. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Amp end: 1+/white 2+/black

Cab end: 1+/white 1-/black

6. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    thanks, fellas!

dave

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If those ratings are continuous (a.k.a. "RMS) power, then what you have is a 4-ohm 800-watt cabinet. That would be safe to use with the PLX 1602 in bridged mono if you avoid clipping the amp.

At those power levels, converting your speaker cabinet from a 1/4" jack to a Speakon connector would be advisable if it is not mechanically difficult to do.