Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakon...??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Oct 26, 2005.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I am just getting into amps/cabs and have gained a lot of knowledge from the great TBers on this forum :D Can someone explain to me what you would use a Spekon connection for? Why is it there? What exactly does it do?

2. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Amp to Cab.

3. It is another way of connecting your amp too your speaker cabinet. I do not fully understand the technical aspects of the speakton connection, but others who are wiser than I will no doubt cover that.

I use them myself to connect my amp [Acoustic Image - Clarus] to my cabinets and am very satisfied with the job they do.

Regards

Matthew

4. If you do a Speakon search, you'll find tons of info.

They are more positive connection for amp to speaker. They won't pull out easily because they twist and lock. They won't arc or short if disconnected because they don't make contact between pos/neg contacts.

They cost more, but a decent 1/4 jack costs 3.00+ anyway. They are VERY EASY to install, no soldering needed.

Mag...

5. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

There are probably at least three major points of superiority of the speakon connector over the "traditional" 1/4" connector.

1) Virtually pull-out proof due to simple locking mechanism

2) As Magneto noted, the possibility of shorting out disappears due to the fact that the connecting surfaces come together only with the appropriate side

3) The self-cleaning connecting surfaces allow much, much more contact than anything other than possibly banana plugs

Another wonderful thing, if you buy the right ones and have the right cable, is that you can run bi-amped signals through one single cable, one single connection! I love that! :D

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    There are a couple of main differences in a Speakon Connector to a 1/4" or even Banana connector. Firstly Speakon is for SPEAKERS only. Since Speakon is a "Locking Cam" style connector (similar to an XLR, sort of) you have to pull on the tab and twist to remove it. With Speakon connectors, the actual surface area of the connection is huge compared to the connection area of a 1/4". That is a big advantage for sound transfer. Also, there is much less damage and wear and tear to a Speakon to a 1/4" or Banana connector.
    Speakon connectors are easy to use, easy to maintain and actually very inexpensive to purchase.
    I use Speakon connectors on all of my speakers, Bass and PA

7. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Thanks for the replies, very helpful as usual. So, its basically another way of connecting an amp to the cab...can you hear the difference compared to a regular plug?

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Much SAFER as well, no exposed metal contact pieces, which is a big plus if you are running high wattages of 1000+ watts, which many of us do.

9. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Most of it is a technical difference. The tone should not be affected by the connection, but a loose connector you will pick up on right away! :bassist:

10. Another great advantage if you run high powered bridged amps... the metal case of 1/4 connectors, normally ground under normal circumstances and safe, is actually HOT when running a bridged amp. I put tape over mine, any metal grounded object touches that, you could be looking at shock potential for you, damage to power amp, or if a mic/guitar cable hit it, damage to their input circuitry.

The speakon connector is plastic and insulated, no conductors are exposed before or after it is plugged in.

So any of you out there running bridged amps with big beefy 1/4" plugs, which of course you got the sturdy metal case connector not the flimsy plastic ones..... get some electrical tape on that sucker IMMEDIATELY.

Randy

11. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Also very easy to make your own custom lengths for less than the price of a new cable. No soldering involved.

12. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    That is the best thing. And, unlike banana connectors, the ends of the wire aren't hanging out. Much cleaner end.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No.

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    1/4" PHONE jacks were invented in the 1930's for phone systems, not high powered amplifier to speaker connections. Speakons were dsigned exactly for that high powered amplifier to speaker connections. Addionally, with Speakon you are using 12 or 14 guage wire, rather than 16 or 18 with other cables. The lower the guage, the less resistance, the better the sound

Mike