1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)


Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jljohnson85, Jul 31, 2001.

  1. jljohnson85


    Nov 27, 2000
    Woodstock, GA
    I keep seeing people refer to these. Can someone tell me what a speakon jack is?
  2. jasonbraatz


    Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

    an extremely reliable, robust, powerful speaker connector.

    you just stick it in and twist, and it's locked in place. and my bands engineer built me all my cables for 7 bucks a piece.

    i won't buy a poweramp that doesn't have speakon outputs. end of story.

  3. Speakons are made by Neutrik http://www.neutrikusa.com/index.html

    The twist-locking connectors are a male/female pair, and available in either 4 connector (two pair) or 8 connector (4 pair). The jacks are air tight and suitable for mounting in sealed or ported cabinets. There are many standard recessed jack plates designed for Speakons. Cables can be assembled entirely with a screwdriver and a cable stripping tool or Exacto blade. They are field repairable.

    The multiple connectors allow for bi-amping, etc by having more than one pair of signal in the cable. I run mine as the +/- 1 pair to the Lows and the +/- 2 pair to the highs. This prevents accidently connecting the Low signal to the High drivers and damaging them.

    They will operate on wire as thick as 12 gauge, and maybe thicker. The wiring can be attached be either push (FastOn) connectors or soldering.

    They are available at a reasonable retail price from http://www.partsexpress.com or cheaper from Penn Fabrication or TCH, if you have a minimum $50 order.
  4. leper


    Jun 21, 2001
    does anyone know where to get speakon jack plates? Ive looked at partsexpress and they dont have any...
  5. jasonbraatz


    Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    just do a search on google.com for speakon.

    you'll get TONS of hits, that's how i found that pic.


Share This Page