1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speakon

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jaybyname, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Hi all,

Daft question: As my line6 HD750 has a 4 pole speakon connector, do I need to buy a 4 pole speakon connector/lead for the cab with tweeter. I assume 2 poles are for the speakers and the other 2 are for the tweeter. If I use a 2 pole speakon lead will that mean the tweeter wont work in the cab?

Cheers

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Usually it's not like that. Usually the crossover (splitting signal between woofer and tweeter) is inside the cab, so only two of the four Speakon poles are used.

The other case is when the crossover is in the amp head. You'd probably know if your amp is set up for bi-amping, sending highs and lows separately; check the manual otherwise.

3. Whats got me thinking is this weekend I decided to convert my Line6 LD400 combo so that I could run my HD750 head through the speakers. (combo at home, cab at practice). I bought a 4 pole speakon connector for the back of the combo and got to work bypassing the combo head. When I looked behind the speakers and chased the wires it appears that 4 wires all lead to one multi plug into the amps PCB. 2 wires chased go to the tweeter, 2 go a speaker which is then wired to the other speaker.This got me thinking that the line 6 circuitry must have a seperate tweeter circuit/crossover built in. This may be the same as my HD750 head which means the tweeter circuit runs to +2 and -2 on the speakon connector and the speakers use +1 and -1. Therfore If plug a 2 pole into the back of the HD750 head and connect to my cab, it will only read the speakers.

Confused

4. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    If it's a combo amp you are driving it will most definitiely have the crossover circuitry inside. My Peavey combo has an on/off tweeter switch also which, if you have that on the LD400, what you are seeing would make sense.

5. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    Hope it's not a 4 conductor cable. Those are made for bridge mode and will damage your gear. It's in the manual.
    NL4 connectors have 4 pins but may have either a 2 conductor wire attached to -1/+1 or a 4 conductor wire, the latter is for bridge mode on many amps.

There are 2 wires to any speaker.
    Any 2 way cab has + and - to the tweeter/horn and a + and - to the woofer. Passive crossover in cab receives power from input jack +\-
    Crossover circuit splits it and has HF +\- to HF driver, LF +\- to woofer.

Combo amp prob has xover in the chassis hence 2 HF wires/2 LF.
    But the power section is feeding +/- to the crossover circuit.

From line 6 manual:
    Using Neutrik Speakon Output Connections
    The LD400 Pro, HD400 & HD750 all feature Neutrik Speakon NL4 series high current twist-lock speaker output connections. These are used instead of standard 1/4-inch unbalanced speaker jacks to provide superior and safe coupling characteristics with professional grade bass guitar cabinets like the Line 6 LowDown 410 cabinet.
    Pins 1+ and 1- are used so that a standard two conductor Speakon-to-Speakon cable can be used, or a two conductor Speakon-to-1/4-inch adapter.
    Warning! If a Speakon-to-1/4-inch adaptor must be used, we recommend that the power amp be OFF when plugging the amplifier to a standard 1/4-inch cabinet input jack to prevent any risk of shock.
    Warning! Do not use a Speakon Cable labeled “BRIDGE MODE” with the HD400 or HD750. This can cause damage to the amp.

6. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    If it's like every other cabinet, all the horn does is add click and clank, so if it does not work, so much the better.

7. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    ^^^

Because it's your rig and not the OP's, right?