Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakons Vs. 1/4 Inch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingray4Christ, May 5, 2003.

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    72.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Doesn't Matter

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    Are Speakons really that much better than 1/4 inch connecters as far as speaker cables go? What advantages do they have?

2. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    How much is 'that much'?

If it's not too much, then yes.

3. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    I'm not sure, but I was thinking about asking this question too. Somewhat along the same lines, would a Speakon->1/4 cable help anything? it would have a better connection on one side, but would it be held back by the 1/4 connection? :confused:

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    the thing is, 1/4 jacks were made for some alright levels of voltage, but not a whole lot of amperage. Speakons are made to handle both. Their connectors have a positive lock system. 1/4 jacks are held by springiness in the jack. The speakons have a locking mechanism that doesn't allow it to back out. They are nearly impossible to short. If they have power running thru them, and hit a metal surface, nothing happens. If a 1/4" jack backs out(which can happen often), and it hits a metal surface, kiss your warranty and your amp goodbye. Therein lies the difference.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    In the EU high-power amps are legally required to have SpeakOns.

6. Speakon is a more versatile connector than a simple 1/4" plug. You can bi-amp using only one cable where as 1/4" plugs just don't lend themselves to this very well. Also, the actual contact area (where the male and female parts of the connection come together) is much larger with a speakon than with a 1/4" plug. This (in theory anyway) could make for better performance. The biggest pain with speakons is the fact that most of my existing cabling is 1/4". I think that amps should come with 1/4" Plugs, Speakon, and Banana just for convenience sake. One of the things I like about my Carvin DCM1000 is that it comes with 1/4" and XLR inputs and 4x1/4" + banana + 3xspeakon outputs. It will accomodate any cable situation. jmho

7. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Speakon is real improvement for any amp/speaker connection over 400 watts. 1/4" was invented for telephone switchboards. Hence "phone jacks"
    Was never meant to transfer this kinds of amps.

8. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    That is such a cool ashtray, Allan. :D

9. Now that's comedy, rockindoc :D

10. I don't think that it makes any difference to the sound though

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    With high wattage setups, it can make a difference you can hear.

Another advantage noone brought up was that you never get confused about what cord is what:

XLR for mikes
    1/4" for your axe
    Speakon for speakers

The plastic casing of the Speakon means no shock hazards either (most 1/4" plus are grounded metal). They are "break before make" connectors so unlike 1/4", unplugging a Speakon from an amp while it's running can't possibly short the output.

12. My Ampeg SVT-3 Pro has one speakon output jack and two 1/4" jacks.

So connecting two cabinets with regular jacks is no problem. But what about connecting two cabinets with speakons when there's only one speakon output?

Or is this only meant to connect just one 4 Ohm cab to the Ampeg?

13. just connect your cabs together instead of running both cables from the amp.

amp -> cable to 1 speaker 1-> other jack of speaker 1 connects to speaker 2

instead of
    amp -> cable 1 to speaker 1
    amp -> cable 2 to speaker 2

14. Erhm Pete,

my Peavey 410TVX's only have one input jack and NO output jack :meh:

another thing... wouldn't that setup change the total ohmage?

connecting one cab after the other would get me a serial setup no? so two 8 Ohm cabs will make 16 Ohms for the amp instead of the 4 Ohm the amp needs...

15. Chaining cab to cab is still parallel. Due to the fact that your PV cab only has one 1/4" input, using speakon connectors from the amp is not a good idea for you. Many newer cabs have 2 speakon jacks wired in parallel as well as 2 1/4" jacks in parallel. This will accommodate a wider variety of connectors. Like I said earlier, speakons are theoretically better but, 1/4" phone plugs have been around as long as there have been amps. If it ain't broke (well you know)......:D