Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spec. range for Mesa 6L6s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I know a guy with a bunch of NOS 6L6s, and I want to know before I talk with him, what I need for my 400+.

What are the specs I need to know?
    Thanks, Bob

2. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Bob, it's not quite that easy... ask Lord Valve about this.

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I don't want to bother him if I'm not going to buy them from him.
    I'd just get them from him, but they are selling for $12.each/ that are matched.

That's $80.+ cheaper.

Is there something I'm missing here? Thanks

4. Lord Valve

Lord Valve

Dec 13, 2002
    Denver, CO.
    This question has no answer. There are simply no standards in the tube matching biz - nearly everybody in it builds their own testgear, and matches to arbitrary parameters based on empirical experience. In my case, I was a Mesa warranty station for many years, and I reverse-engineered Mesa's rating system by simply running every Mesa-spec tube I came across through my own matching rig. This gave me a range of acceptable plate current that I could pick from my own tube stocks. My numbers, however, simply won't transfer to anyone else's system. You need a set of TWELVE reasonably well-matched 6L6s for that amplifier, picked for Mesa's proprietary bias setting. You could have a tech put in an adjustable bias control (your amp doesn't have one, so you *have* to buy Mesa's tubes, or buy them from someone with the mojo to supply the correct range) to make it a bit easier to use other than Mesa tubes, but you still need a matched set of twelve. Sets of twelve are few and far between in the NOS market, simply because the available stocks are so low. You can. of course, compromise the matching parameters, specifying (say) a 10 milliamp range for the set (rather than the 1 milliamp I hold my sets to) and you'll probably not pay a penalty other than a bit of increased 120Hz hum on the output, but I think you're going to find that many "matched" sets - ain't. ;-) BTW, at $12 each for NOS, you'd better be careful unless the seller is your brother-in-law or something. Even then, you'd better be careful. ;-)
    You *do* get what you pay for, and guys who "match" with a tube tester are a dime a dozen.

Lord Valve