Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Special Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Do you guys know any cabs that have:

2x12 and 1x18?

2x12 and 1x15?

2x10 and 1x18?

2x10 and 1x18?

2. I believe Peavey used to make a 2x10 + 1x18 cab called the Peavey 1820. You might be able to find those used.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Peavey 1820.

Also, Hiwatt UK is making a 410+115 cab.
    http://www.hiwatt.co.uk/cabs.htm

4. I found an 1820 for sale but only in the states, I live in the UK...I'll keep looking. nothing else comes to mind?
    Maybe 2x12 1x15...Anything alogn these lines..

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What does a Madison Hydra have in it?

Why must all those speakers be in one cabinet?

Peavey also made a 3620 with 2x18 and 2x10s:D

Ampeg made a 4x10 + 1x15, the SVT-1540.

6. They've gotta be in one cabinet for portability... I'd get a 410..But I fear for lack of low-end..

7. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I think two smaller cabs are more portable than one larger cab.

For example: Two 4x10's together weigh more, and take up more space than a single 8x10. But I personally would rather carry the two 4x10's because I don't have to lift that heavy 8x10 all at once.

If I was on tour and it was going to travel in a semi-trailer all the time and be loaded and unloaded by stage hands, then the single larger cab is fine. But if I'm going to have to carry it by myself, put it in a personal vehicle, or carry it up and down stairs, I'd prefer the two smaller cabs.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Get the Ampeg SVT-410HLF. No lack of low end there.

9. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Ampeg made an 4x10" + 15" too. It looks like an 8x10". *reads post of BillyB* darn! :oops:

Harkte has a 2x8" + 15".

10. Another thing is $$$. I can't Really afford two good cabs.. OR shall I say: For my budget I can get better quality by buying one cab then by getting two, get it?

11. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Sniff around for a used Mesa Powerhouse 1000.. They have a 1-15 and 4-10s surrounding it. Built well, EV speakers, Heavy weight, heavy sound. I see em around for about $600.

12. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    That's why we've developed our gear so that one cab can replace two cabs. That's also the reason why we have not come out with anything bigger than the El Whappo. (Which are the same weight as an Eden 4x10 & only a couple of inches taller)

It’s tempting to do something huge & crazy, but it would only end up being a flag ship for attention & not to solve real player’s needs. If it doesn’t fill a void, what’s the point? Use one or more smaller cabs.

At least that's my humble opinion,
    Mark
    AccuGroove.com

13. Multiple smaller cabs, each 100% engineered for the installed driver(s) makes more sense.

Internal volume isn't compromised by efforts to keep the cabinet size reasonable. Multiple cabs can be added as the gig requirements dictate. Why haul a 4x10 to an intimate coffee house when a 1x10 will do perfectly?

14. bottlefight

bottlefight

Apr 22, 2003
    MI
  15. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
    bergantino- 2 15", 1 8"

16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Folks, remember that Bassline_Delux is in England. Shipping and import taxes from the US would be hugely expensive.

It seems that a lot of folks in Europe use Peavey gear so my suggestion of finding a used 1516 cabinet is based on that observation.

Bassline_Delux...seems to me that I saw a Laney cab with one of the configurations that you mentioned at a used gear shop a while back. Laney is based in the UK...true?

17. I think I might go with the Laney R410 or the Marshall VBC412....

18. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I have an ampeg pr1528-he, extreme series, which has a 45 degree angled 15" w/ 2x8" + horn in a single cab--can be bi-amped.--very flexible sound.

They also made a model pr18***-he w/ an 18" at an angle and i believe 2x10", 2x6" + horn

these were inspired by steve baily and victor wooten

19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I had an 1820 years ago and rue the day I sold it - sh*t could that move some air!

But I have a suggestion that would probably be reasonably easy to find in the UK. I have a Trace Elliott 7210 combo. 300watts with 2x10 and a horn. I use the combo for practices, and add the 15 for gigs. I got that AND a TE 15' cab for $700 in mint shape in Connecticut.

There gotta be lots of those floating around in London shops.

20. Amazingly Enough, the firebass is back. So. ANyone cxare to suggest whether a a 2x15 or a 4x10 or a 4x12 is best?