Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Special edition Fafner?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sammy, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    :confused:

On the Music Station (Germany) website they are advertising a 2003 special edition Fafner, but it's not no the EBS site.

Does anyone know about the special Fafner?

2. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    looks like a regular Fafner to me, with some gold plating on the normally chrome parts. They also refer to a "high end tube"

[​IMG]

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think I heard somewhere that the Fafner was NOT being discontinued, but IS no longer available for sale in the US.

This could support that theory...

It's a great amp, btw...

4. According to the latest EBS VIP Picelist, both the Fafner and the new 24k gold Limited Edition Fafner w/ Groove Tube are available for order.

5. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    Please, i would like to know the tube configuration in the fafner (number and section)?

THX

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It has one 12ax7 after the preamp so it can be blended with the clean signal.

BTW the gold Fafner is to selebrate the 15th (?)aniversary of EBS. And the Fafner is still being made but not sold in the USA. The US customers apparently prefer the cleaner TD650.

7. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    and one 12 ax 7 can sound better than the all tube preamp of a svt 3 pro.I m not really sure!!

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Guess you've never heard an Alembic F1-X.

9. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Since you're in Sweden, would you call them up and tell them that we don't? :)

Nightbass

10. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    I knew the td650 was an one 12ax7 head, but i always thought the fafner was all tube.
    The catalog doesn t say it has mosfet!

Anyway, i will try the fafner,and make my choice!

11. Just one tube in there, but you would never know it. The tube sits in between the pre and power stages and has drive and character controls. Fafner weighs a full 60 lbs less than my Trace V8 and does an admirable job of reproducing the all-tube sound.