1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Special power amp needed to power a bass rig???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by motionkid, Sep 27, 2009.

1. motionkid

motionkid Guest

Jan 28, 2008
    Central Wisconsin
    This question came up in a discution today about my rig...

If I bought a cab that my head didnt have enough juice for and needed a separate power amp would it need to be a special kind of power amp or any regular power amp would do. I was thinkin about this the other day too if I ever wanted to go with a fancier rig and just use pre/power amps with no single head if that would be an issue.

Just to elaborate myself a bit more... I see 2 power amps on MusiciansFriend.com that are in the bass section. There is a 750 watt SWR power amp that goes for around 1100 bucks... thing is... I found a 450 watt Peavey power amp in a magazine thats in the live sound section and its not even 400 bucks! So that kinda sparked this whole question. Im not sure that it really would matter what kinda power amp I used but last time I made an assumption like that I almost blew my cab speakers...

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    A regular power amp will work just fine. The power amp section in a typical solid state bass amp is not designed any differently than what is in a power amp designed for PA use. In fact, many PA power amps may be better in terms of having more robust protection features.