1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

special Rickenbacker pain

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by corinpills, Aug 10, 2012.

1. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I wonder if Chris Squire has special calluses on his right forearm? A lot of times, when I play my 4001 for long periods of time I get a really sore spot where my right arm goes across the bass. Is it just me with particularly wussy forearms? I have other basses that are big planks of wood and it doesn't happen with them.

2. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    It's not just you, the lack of forearm relief along with a bound body is uncomfortable for a lot of people. I can definitely notice the difference going back and forth with my Jazz.

3. Dallyd31

Dallyd31 Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Peterborough, Ontario
    I LOVE my Ric 4003 but I get the same issue...my forearm rubs along the top edge of the bass and it gets sore sometimes.

4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I played a Ric for one whole summer, it gave me a red sore spot on my forearm so bad that I started wearing a wristband pulled halfway up my forearm to cushion that area.

Yeah, I know other basses don't have contours, either (I have a few that don't) but that bass was the only one that caused me real physical pain / injury to play... Really poor ergonomics on that one.

I like the look of the contoured walnut Cheyenne's, though, so if I ever get the urge to get another Ric, it would probably be one of those.

5. perkidan

perkidan

Sep 13, 2000
    Augusta, ky
    That is one of the things that have kept me from owning one. Love the looks and sound but just can't get comfortable with them.

6. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    It's OK with long sleeves, but Summer gigs with a Rick are tough. I'm willing to deal with the pain, though. Think of all the hot babes wearing painful shoes, it's that sort of thing.

7. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    I'm one of those guys who has never had an issue with this. I think it all depends on where/how you play the bass. For the most part, I'm b/w the two pickups and closer to the neck one usually. The top of the bass has a big dip down there. I almost never play over/near the bridge p'up. And I play with a floating thumb style FWIW. But this combination makes my 4003 the most comfortable bass I've ever played.

8. I play a little low I guess and I rest my hand on the bridge and pick or a little behind the rear pickup and pick , I haev never been uncomfortable but with any bass I play standing up the body never rubs on my forearm 90% of the time.

9. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    The only part of my right arm and hand that touches the bass body is the tip of my right thumb. Elbows up and away. Problem solved.

10. jedw

jedw

Jun 5, 2010
    Preston Uk
    um,

get a 4001s or a reissue 4001v63 or 4001 c64 with no binding, I'm sure they have a contour on the front edge.

11. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    Yeah,like Chris's, or Macca's....they both have the model type that has NO binding on either the body or the neck. (my preference,too) Unfortunately if you want one like this now,you would have to buy it used,as the company only makes the bound models at present. (unless you go with one of their 4004 models,which are also fantastic basses....)

12. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I've always called it "Rick rash."

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Both Chris Squire and Paul McCartney play the 4001s which has no binding and a more rounded edges.

14. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Good idea. I'll leave this one I have now out on the curb if anybody wants it.

15. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Never bothered me , I don't need no girlie contours ...

16. I played a Ric almost exclusively in live situations at least two or three times a week for a couple of years. Nope, no forearm callouses or other issues to report.

Like Fretless said above, elbow up and away, no problem. I guess if you wear it high enough it might be an issue, but I wear mine at belt height.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    The 4004 is nicely rounded.

fg5%20012.

18. lankybass

lankybass

Feb 23, 2011
    West Monroe, LA
    frikkin dibs

19. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    My god that's a nice rug. The Ric is beautiful.
    Very nice.

20. The times that I have seen YES, Chris Squire has a wristband on. When I was a Teen I has A Fireglow 4003 that i used a pick on. It tore me up. The other year I owned briefly a new JetGlow 4003 and used plucking/striking technique after years of post-bop/fusion piano playing. I did not have the pain on my arm, but the bass didn't react well to light plucking like other basses. Had to sell it, even though it was such a beautiful made instrument.