1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Special Sauce

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JazzyJuiceCombo, Dec 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JazzyJuiceCombo

JazzyJuiceCombo

Oct 27, 2017
    I know most musicians like to protect their special sauce technique or settings like it'd ruin them for life if everyone knew. But lets imagine that you shared and the world was a better place, and it got you some love;)

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    HuhWhat?

gebass6 and Jhengsman like this.
  3. JazzyJuiceCombo

JazzyJuiceCombo

Oct 27, 2017
    Epic morning music.
    Sometimes you wake up and there’s that perfect bass line or sound you have to try before you forget it and it’s lost forever.....
    Then your partner yells, “Shut the f~ck up”.
    But this morning as I lightly played away picking this arpeggio, she got up and came back with a cup of tea and some toast.
    For me!
    Can’t remember the last time that ever happened.
    Gentlemen, good luck image2. image1.

two fingers likes this.
  4. JazzyJuiceCombo

JazzyJuiceCombo

Oct 27, 2017
    Well, for near 30 years I've been listening to musicians in pubs talking about their special sauce that will revolutionise the sonic universe..."but it's a secret" bla bla bla... So, just wondering, anyone want to share?

5. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Well...it's been my experience here on TB that the vast majority of people are willing to share anything, if people are interested enough to ask. There are no secrets to bass playing...except regular hard graft. :thumbsup:

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've never heard of technique or settings described that way. Maybe it's a regional thing.

gebass6 likes this.
  7. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I'm going to tell you a BIG secret about that "secret". Just don't tell anybody else, please.
    Here are very deep/underground web-sites where you can obtain and/or share your "secrets".

Basses [BG]

Amps and Cabs [BG]

Pickups & Electronics [BG]

Effects [BG]

Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]

P.S. Please, don't share our secret/s with anyone.

Jhengsman and two fingers like this.
  8. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    So, basically what you're saying is...

Reverb = Toast

Niiiiiiice! :)

RiffwRiter likes this.
  9. I've not run up on that secret stuff you refer to, everyone in my neck of the woods will share and help at the drop of a hat.

Well, everyone except the pedal steel, and that is a closed society... Nice guys, but, don't have the time to explain all those pedals and such with we mortals.

10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I was eating backstage at a rib-fest. Realized we were on and my hands were a mess. Got BBQ sauce all over my bass. Does that count?

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass @JazzyJuiceCombo !!!!!

(Now put down the "special sauce" and hand me your car keys.)

:D

ajkula66 likes this.
  12. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    The greasy stuff on the side of your nose. There, now you know.:woot:

13. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I read once and this might be an urban legend that Jaco used to like to eat a big plate of Fried Chicken before he went on stage to make his fingers more slippery.

C/S,
    Rev J

14. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    "PUBS"
    "special sauce"

Ahh..OK.....British.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  15. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Personally I just use the bass, I run the amp flat with just the compressor. Passive J Bass, tone always full on, just use the volume knobs to change the tone and the position of the right hand. This gives me great variety.

16. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    There is no magic in music. Most player saying they have a special technique just don't know what they are doing and try to keep the magic.

gebass6 likes this.
  17. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I soak both my picking and fretting hand in soy sauce every time before playing, it'll accommodate for some pretty hefty greasy lick work.