1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

special tool for removing knobs?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jweber76, Jan 10, 2012.

1. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    The time has come to replace the knobs on 4 of my basses. Classic J style knobs for my Aerodyne and my VM fretless, Gibson style "speed knobs" for my Rivoli and maybe some "Amp " knobs for my P. My question is: what is the best way to remove the existing knobs without damaging the finish or pg? Is there a special tool or preferred method? Thanks.

2. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    loose the screws in the knob and pull it with your hand.

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I had that problem with my old Ric. I didn't want to spend $45 on a puller from Stew-Mac and I did not want to mess up the original knob.
    STEWMAC.COM : Knob and Bushing Puller

I took and cut a 2" strip of T shirt about 16" long.
    Work the cloth under the knob until you have it all the way around under it. Slowly work it back & forth while pulling up.
    Take your time and it should come off. It worked for me.

4. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    ohh that kind of knob, your method make sense and should work fine.

5. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    Yes, these would all be knobs without set-screws. Great idea with the shirt! I will try it tonight. Thanks!

6. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    That Stew-Mac knob puller looks like it would be easy to make for just a few bucks and a trip to Lowe's. Figuring out what to use to make the part that pulls the knob would be the tricky part.

7. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    Yes, these would all be knobs without set-screws. Great idea with the shirt! I will try it tonight. Thanks!

8. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    I just took a look at stewmac knobs puller. Looks like a great tool and probably easy to make. I will try the t-shirt method first but for the long term I am going to try to construct one of these badboys.

9. coreybox

coreybox

Jan 5, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    I've used the T-shirt method above, but with a shoelace. Wrap it around underneath the knob, and then pull up.

10. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    T-shirt method has never failed me.

11. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    +1 on both.

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Maybe I just have very grippy fingers, but Ive always been able to just pull those knobs right off.

13. Phlip2bass

Phlip2bass

Jan 8, 2012
    LA Porte TX
    I switched some knobs on my gibson guitar to my fury bass and vice versa just messing around and got one of them stuck on each guitar, I tried the shoelace and t-shirt tricks but no deal, just too tight (really did not feel that tight going on). I really do not want to break the knobs, any suggestions???

14. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Really?

The T-shirt method works so well I have pulled the shaft out of a pot this way before!

Sounds like you may need the StewMac knob-puller

15. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I use a two-spoon system. I place a soft cloth underneath the knob, then two spoons on opposing sides, and use the leverage to gently lift the knob off the pot.

16. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

This is a great idea. Is is really important to pry up from two sides at once - if you pry from one side only, you just wedge it tighter. I would probably use some cardboard as padding so the spoon cannot dent the top if the knob is really tight.

17. Hi.

I do not doubt the grippiness of Your or anyone others fingers, but the reason hasn't been that, the reason has been somewhat loose knobs.

With tight/frozen knobs, either break the knob or use the puller, the Stew-Mac one even, if you can't make one.

While the band-aid methods do work sometimes, there's a too great a chance to do more damage than good IME.

Regards
    Sam

18. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I shove a heavy pick under the edge and lift while spinning the knob back and forth. It slowly works the knob up and off.

The 2 spoon thing sounds revolutionary though...

19. conqr

conqr

Feb 16, 2009
    This is the key, no lateral force. Any method that lifts the knob relatively straight up from below will usually work. I used the t shirt last time, didn't even cut it, just wrapped and pulled.

20. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    The method I use (I actually read it here somewhere when I first got my squier.....long before I actually showed up) it to put down some cloth, and use two butter knives. Edge facing inside the knob so it wont eat the cloth. One on each side of the knob, twist both knives a bit. The give the knob a quarter turn and continue until it pops off.