Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

special tuning nut for acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FireStormX, Feb 23, 2005.

1. FireStormX

FireStormX

May 6, 2003
    Ohio, USA
    I currently have a Michael Kelly left-handed acoustic-eletric fretless bass. It came as a 5-string and I altered the strings to go E to C instead of the standard B to G. Now my bass sounds a little flat. I can tune all the strings correctly but when I play a "C" on the A-string (3rd fret) it sounds flat and out of tune. It sounds like a flat "C" and shows as a flat "C" on my electronic tuner. When I play with my guitarist it sounds off. Normally I would just blame my guitarist for being out of tune..lol but I know it's my bass. I talked to a tech friend of mine and he said it is possibly that the tuning "nut" was built for large gauge strings (i.e B to G strings) and since I moved them all up one, they are too small for the slots in the tuning nut. I'll probably put the "B" string back on and move the strings down to verify that theory. If that's the case does anyone know if anyone makes a tuning nut that holdings strings E through C, instead of B through G. I assume that there isn't anybody who makes those, but I thought I would ask. I think I'm gonna start making 5-string basses strung E to C and sell them as specialty basses..lol If anyone knows anything, let me know thanks! :help:

FireStormX - Bassist, SGG (http://www.sgg-music.com)

2. LiamCohl

LiamCohl

Jan 29, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    if it is a fretless it could just be your intonation that is off, not the bass.

3. Agreed. The nut should not have a major effect on intonation. Since your bass is a fretless, just play "C" a bit farther up to bring it in tune. Simple enough, right?

4. hmmmm..you can't adjust the intonation at the bridge?

At the 3rd fret, if your intonation is off...I doubt the nut is having much effect there...perhaps, but I can't see it. Can you get a new nut cut, anyway?

Maybe it's your A string...have you tried a different A-string?

It's a fretless so if all else fails...just use your ears and slide her up a bit.