1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Specific Effects Question

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by andyroo, Mar 31, 2009.

1. andyroo

andyroo

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Hey Janek,

Loving what you're doing and hope to catch you live soon.... Any chance of a Toronto gig in the future?

Anyway, I have a pretty specific question about an effect I heard you using in this video for Justin Vasquez's Triptych II:

I'm just curious as to how your getting the harmonic overtone to ring out (the third/tenth that is ringing above). I know you're using an octave pedal (OC-2?) with just the wet signal, but what are you using to accentuate that harmonic overtone? You've mentioned that you use a Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler as well, so are you using some sort of bandpass filter in that pedal?

Anyway, keep making amazing music man, and I hope to catch you live soon.

Thanks

Andrew

2. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://bassstudio.janekgwizdala.com
    Andrew,

thanks for your post.

I'm actually working on trying to get up to toronto to play the rex this year with the band. Hopefully with Jojo Mayer, Justin Vasquez, and Oli Rockberger, maybe even tim miller too if i can bring that many people.

As to the effect in the video... I'm not totally sure what I was using there as it's been a while since that session and a lot of things in my setup have changed. But I'm pretty sure it sounds like an aggressive setting on a chorus pedal with the OC-2. That's about it....

Easy,

Janek

3. andyroo

andyroo

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Hey Janek,

Thanks for the quick reply, that makes sense using a chorus that way, I'll need to try that out. That's awesome about the rex, and what a band to bring up too, I'll make sure I'm front and center for that gig. Keep us posted!

Thanks again,

Andrew

4. andyroo

andyroo

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Oh sorry, one more thing, just out of curiosity, which Boss Chorus do you normally use? I know they have three in current production, The Bass Chorus, Chorus Ensemble, and the Super Chorus. Thanks.

5. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://bassstudio.janekgwizdala.com
    man, I really don't know. I've had it for about 12 years. all I know is that it's blue, and all the other stuff is chipped away I think. One of the knobs is missing, and the thing barely works. But it sounds great when it does.

Easy,

Janek

6. andyroo

andyroo

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Haha, that's too funny, thanks anyway man!

Andrew