Specific Gravity in relation to bow blanks

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by godoze, Aug 1, 2004.

1. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Pardon my ignorance but why is specific gravity important when choosing aa bow blank ?
  2. The specific gravity gives you half of the equation (for Young's Modulus of elasticity) that many modern bow makers are looking for when buying pernambuco bow blanks. There is a device call the Lucchi Elasticity Tester (Lucchi Meter) that measures the velocity of sound traveling through a piece of wood. Given the velocity determined by the Lucchi tester and the specific gravity of the wood, you can calculate the Young's Modulas which is the measure of resistance to deflection. A bowmakers supply house, Bow Makers have a chart on their website included in their wood pricing that shows this calculation. If you look at their blank prices, you can see that they consider the Young's Modulus of the wood a very important factor in their pricing of pernambuco blanks to bow makers. I assume that bow makers must consider this pretty important too, or they wouldn't pay those prices for bow blanks. I'm not a bow maker, so that's about all I can tell you.
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am meeting with a bow maker wedsnesday who may take me on as a student... just trying to do a little preparation.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

WOW! What a great explanation. For not being a bowmaker, you sure do know quite a bit about it. I never realized the physics that go into creating a bow.
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    That's great! I love the air of mystery surrounding the art of bowmaking.