Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

specific mini combo amp questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snowdan, Feb 28, 2006.

1. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    a) is the hartke kickback 10 a good double bass amp?

b) how about the SWR WM 10 for that?

c) how do the above perform for electric bass with medium loud drums?

d) how much more pleased would I be if I spent 2-3 times the cash for a GK MB150?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I'd recommend that you also hold out and try a Markbass.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    No need to spend 2-3 times as much for the G-K. Spend only a little more for the Roland Cube 100.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The Roland Cube 100 is a great little amp.
    It does seem a little heavy for it's size.
    But you can't go wrong with Roland.

5. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    SWR WM 10 would be 280 Euros, the Roland 400. kickback in between them.

i expect to gain about 300-350 Euros from selling the WM 15.

will the roland be the better amp overall?

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Many people are happy with the SWR WM12 for upright and electric. If I didn't have a sweet rig now, that's one direction I'd look.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

+1
    My main sub for my jazz band is in college and uses the WM12 for pit work on both BG and upright very happily. Not nearly enough beef for me for BG though. All the usual suspects I would recommend for doubling run a lot more than the 400 Euro range, I'm afraid.

8. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i would swap the 15 for the 12 for sure. but the WM 12 seems not to be around in german shops anymore.

the old WM 10 can be seen here and there still.

next question: how does the roland basscube 100 perform w/ double bass?

9. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006

i must admit i am very tempted to go for the MB150...i'll have to see what i can sell apart from the SWR.

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The other sub for my band uses the MB150. He plays jazz on BG, not upright, but as you know plenty of people dig 'em for upright and for doubling. Honestly though, I'm not sure I like the MB any better than the WM12. But I play EUB, not "real" upright, and the difference is substantial in some cases. It's moot for me anyway since neither one is even close to adequate for the things I do on fretless BG.;)

11. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    well i play real, acoustic DB. from what i can read here, both the WM and the MB150 will do that. for BG, i am not that picky. my neuser courage sounds nice through almost everything and has very effective onboard EQing.

weight and size of the GK are so damn tempting...i could even carry GB and amp by bicylce!

can anybody tell me if one of these is SUBSTANTIALLY more powerful/louder?

-SWR WM 10
    -GK MB150
    -Hartke Kickback 10

12. cacio

cacio

Apr 24, 2005
    Italy
    In Italy there's a shop that sells roland cube 100 for 275 euro.
    I think i'll be one this week:bassist:

13. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    do they ship to germany? url?

14. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I use a WM10 for BG in a jazz combo at the local university. I own a WM12 and a GK 200MB (earlier version of MB150) which I use for BG, DB, and EUB.

You can only expect a certain amount of output from small, low-powered combos like these. However, my upright (New Standard Cleveland) is a large bass that puts out a lot of low end acoustically so I mainly use an amp to boost the mids and highs.

The WM10 is sufficient for being heard in a jazz combo or big band. I used it last week at a combo concert in a performance hall with good acoustics. Even without PA support I was told by people in the audience that they could hear my 5 string BG well.

The WM12 definitely has more oomph than the WM10 (and sounds a lot better than the WM15 IMHO). Still, while the WM10/12 are loud enough for acoustic jazz groups they tend to get lost pretty quickly in situations with loud drummers and electric guitars without an extension speaker.

The GK combos are great because of their portability and good sound. I like the focused tone the sealed cabinets provide BUT as soon as you push them near their limits they start to sound horrid. But they are great for busy, on-the-go bassists--I often put my MB on the rack on the back of my bike, strap on my gig bag and ride to in-town rehearsals.

I haven't played through the Hartke KickBack 10--only the 12 and 15. I didn't really like them for upright and the construction/component quality seemed inferior to the GK and SWR.

For bigger/more important gigs I leave the combos at home and use separate components--EA, Eden, and GK heads with EA and Bergantino cabinets.

15. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    very good information winston.

i have a pretty loud, bassy bass, too.

the WM 10 would be 1/3 the price of a GK MB150 for me. placing some cheap extension cabinet in the band room is no problem.

is the GK any louder than the WM 10? how portable is the WM 10 in fact?

thanks

16. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    so hands down, which of these is better for me/ better in general?

-SWR WM 10
    -Hartke Kickback 10

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you can find one of the old Trace Eliot Boxer practice amp line they are really stellar performers. I use my Boxer 30 for band practice with a drummer (using practice sticks) and it keeps up just fine. Sounds great, too! The new Trace Eliot doesn't make these yet I don't think, but they are great on the used market.

18. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    It's really hard to say without knowing more about your needs/ situation. Without meaning to be rude, I notice you are new to TalkBass and would suggest a few things:

1) Please fill out your profile--this way people will bee able to see what sorts of music you like/play, gear you currently have/had/want

2) Check out the Double Bass TB forum, particularly the Newbie sticky in the Amps section: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43100
    There have been many discussions of these amps. Also try using the TB search function--it's very handy. If you are asking Double Bass-specific questions you'll likely get a better response over on the "Dark Side" (DB forum)

3) Say what sort of situation you want to use the amp for. You mentioned you play DB but without further info we can't tell what pickup you use, what style(s) of music (psychobilly? jazz?), what kind of gigs--small coffeehouse or big theater w/PA support?

4) Check out the classifieds here or your local Craigslist for used gear deals. 4 of the 5 amps, 2 of the 3 speaker cabinets, and 3 of the 4 double bass pickups I own I bought used, mostly here on TB. Of course there are concerns with buying used gear--condition, warranty, credibility of seller, etc.--BUT your money will go a lot further. I've seen WM10s for less than $250, 200MBs for ~$350, and MB150s in the $500-$700 range

5) Also consider separate components (head and cabinet). It might be a little more expensive/bulky but it's a lot easier to upgrade as your needs change

Once again this is offered in the spirit of making TB a more useful resource for you--good luck.

19. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i see your point. i tell newbies the same thing in snowboard forums, cycling forums...:) i simply haven't had the time yet to go through these things.

btw i am in "old europe" so i cannot make use of some great offers here. too bad.

so far it looks as if i will try the WM 10. its relatively cheap (280 euros). if not the hartke kickback 10 i am looking at sells very cheap on ebay...money is really an issue for me.

20. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    @ winston again: i am just browsing the faq. some great info there! thanks for the hint.

edit: the WM 10 is now ordered.