1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Specific Pbass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FishDub, Feb 4, 2016.

1. FishDub

FishDub Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    ok so I have fender flats on my pbass and most likely gonna buy some rounds, but save the flats just in case. Now please note that I am used to Daddario flexsteels on my tune maniac and love them, but it's also my slap bass so I need the brightness of the flexsteels. So for the pbass I am looking for a string of medium brightness with solid high end punch but not twangy or too bright. Was thinking about Rotosounds, any personal experiences?

2. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    ...or perhaps a recommendation for brighter flats? I have heard good things about labella and TI...

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    LaBella Gold Tapewounds might be the answer...LaBella says they're brighter than their copper tapewounds, but I've heard several people say the coppers are brighter than the golds.
    I had then on a Fender FSR Jazz that I modded last year and a friend of mine liked them enough to put them on both of his basses.
    I might never buy any other type of strings after putting them on my new Fender PJ. They look good, feel good, and sound great!

I hope this video gives you some idea of what they sound like.
    There are several more on youtube.

FishDub likes this.
  4. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Wow nice video! They do sound damn good

jd56hawk likes this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Sometimes it's hard to tell in a video, but even with cheap earbuds it sounds good to me.

6. Ernie Ball Cobalt flats work really nice on a Pbass. They are a nicely balanced high output string. Some say they are a flat that sounds like rounds, and maybe initially they do, but after a month or so they mellow a bit. The highs are not quite as pronounced or zingy but they have a lot of punch left over. For rounds I like Dean Markley Blue Steels. And yes as jd56hawk said above tapewounds are a nice option. I've had D'addario tapes on my Rick, and I presently have them on my ABG. They sound great on both. They still have some of the bright sound of rounds without all the finger noise, and a nice smooth bottom end.

FishDub likes this.