Specific Peavey BAM model.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Feb 12, 2002.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Ok, here goes:

I've been thinking about picking up a Peavey BAM head, and possibly trading/selling my cabs.

I really only like the one model on the BAM, though.
    I found it on the BAM 210.

The model is
    "Amp: MAX"
    "Cab: Fliptop 1x15"

Does anyone know specifically what cab the "fliptop 1x15" is refering to?

...seeing as it'd probably be more intelligent just to buy the MAX and perhaps two fliptop 1x15"'s, as far as tone goes...

I all ready know that the MAX is for the T-max head/preamp. If I do decide to go this route I'll probably get the T-max preamp and pick up a carvin power amp, or possibly a Peavey (depending on the bang-per-buck).

Another question...

Does anyone know how much the BAM heads even cost? I haven't really been looking too hard...
  2. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    The "fliptop" refers to the Ampeg B-15 that many recording studios still swear by. These came out in the early 60s and were all tube with a 15" speaker. The head "flipped" out of the cabinet to reveal a combo amp. Pretty cool.

Didn't know that Peavey's making a head version of this amp.

By the way, the only sound I kinda liked on the BAM was the Acoustic 360=phat.
  3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Speaking of which....

I was on the <a href="http://www.carvin.com">Carvin website</a> looking at ndjx's amp earlier, and I noticed that they have a <a href="http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=DCM2000&P1=PWA">DCM2000</a> for $539. Thats 2000 watts for $539:eek: Like $.27/watt man!!!! Too bad I ain't got the moolah...I'd be droppin' my gear for a component set!
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    CrawlingEye, maybe you should try your FireBass with an Ampeg Classic cab.

It might sound close to the BAM setting that you like, and you might save your self some $$$ :D ...

...or, you might not like it at all :confused: .

One thing to keep in mind is that the BAM setting you really like in the store might not cut-it when you're playing with a band.
  5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I didn't mention EQ or anything, and you're telling me my setting won't cut?

Anyway... I think I might try an Ampeg 15" with my T-max preamp, if I can find a place the carries both.

I just looked into it more, and I've noticed that the BAM has a variable mid, while the T-max has a graphic EQ. I think this could prove the BAM better for what I was doing, since I'm really precise about my boosts/cuts.
  6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I said it might not cut-it. :rolleyes:

It might sound great...
  7. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    The "Peavey Max" model on the BAM isn't really modeled after a Max or T Max amplifier. Basically that "model" is just our attempt at putting all of the best features of Peavey Bass amps into one model.

Why the hell they had to call it "Max" I don't know, I guess to be confusing as possible. They don't ask me when they name these things, but I digress...

The eq is semi parametric, and is probably closer to the Firebass or Nitrobass than it is to a Max.
    The analog overdrive on this model IS similiar to the T Max tube channel. With the overdrive off you could get close to the ss channel on the T max.

I would think that a Firebass with a 115 cab would be pretty close to that model. To get there with a T Max you would probably need to add a parametric in the loop or something.

Hope I didn't add to the confusion...
  8. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    FWIW, Bass Player magazine reviewed the BAM last month and provided a key to decipher all of Peavey's cryptic model names.

Might be helpful to those looking into this amp.
  9. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Yes, Bass Player gave us a nice write up on that one. They nailed just about everything (except for the Max thing).
    They didn't say much about the effects, which is understandable I suppose. Most bass players, me included, have little use for flangers and such. I did like the octave divider and the chorus though. The compressor on there is also one of the nicest sounding and easiest to use comps I have tried.

It is a great sounding amp with or without the effects. Just playing around with the amp and cab swaps could keep you busy for days.
  10. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    You could try just getting the BAM head, and a ampeg 15. That might sound cool.

Although I think that an ampeg and a head would probably run close in $ to the BAM, and since you already like the BAM tone for sure, why not get it?

O well.

Have fun!
  11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    RCRIMM, which 115 would you suggest? BXBW or Pro?

I have the BXBW, so I'm all ready half way there, if that's the case. (just get another 15")

Thanks for all the replies, as well. :)

If I can get close enough, or the tone I want, with the equipment I have already, then that's all the better. I think I'd need to get another 15" though, considering my 15" doesn't seem to pump out enough volume for me to make an accurate judgement. (I'm very anal about this type of thing, since certain frequencies become more apparent when the amp's louder)
  12. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Since we're talking about the new Peavey Bam head, has anyone got the chance to try out the Pro 500 bass head?

P.S. I just noticed you like Hot Water Music CrawlingEye, me too! :D
  13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Jason from HWM has to be one of the best bassists, and he is definetly my largest influence. :)

...and I'm interested in hearing what people thought about the Pro 500 as well. :)
  14. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    I haven't tried a Pro 115 yet, we are still doing prototypes right now. Don't look for these till later this year, *maybe* by late spring or early summer.
    The BXBW is a good one though. You could get close, but the BW is very efficient in the midrange, and not very "B-15 like". I like the Eminence we are using in the Combo 115 better.

I tried a prototype of the Pro 500 briefly. I liked it ok, the tube preamp is nice and warm, and the true parametric eq was nice. It will take some dialing in. Parametric eqs are tricky, but worth it imo.
  15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Thanks, Roger.

Do you know when they plan to ship the BAM heads? :)
  16. PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    any one else have opinions on the effects? of the BAM specifically the flanger chorus and octaver? P
  17. makohund

Dec 12, 2002
  18. wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    I have a BAM 210, and I got it because I thought I could have everything I might ever need. My problem stemmed from what I thought sounded good, and what worked (for me) live.

I still use the combo at church, but I fronted it with an Alembic F1-X (bypassing all the Peavey features and using it as a power amp and cab), and immediately got what I was looking for. YMMV