Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spec'ing out a new one!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Jazz 5-String:

* Swamp Ash Body
    * Matching Sadowsky's Corsica Blue
    * White Pearloid pickguard
    * 3A Birdseye Maple/3A Birdseye Maple Neck (24-fret, dotless)
    * Stainless Steel Frets
    * Nordy NJ5 pickups
    * Aguilar OBP-3 w/sweepable mids and on/off
    * Hipshot bridge/tuners (Chrome)

Inspiration from Sadowsky's NAMM #3 bass (http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/m_namm_3.html), but Sadowsky doesn't make a traditional J in 24 frets. So, I figured I'd look into the next best thing ... Nino! Finalizing stuff now. :bassist:

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Wow that sounds like its going to look killer!

Im a fan of bare fretboards too and I hear that you switched to lake placid blue which looks the same to me anyways.

Are you going with a matching headstock? Ive always thought that looks great for slightly metalic finishes like candy apple red, lake placid blue, and sherwood green.

3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Wow sounds awesome! I should be getting my Valenti this week and will write a full review, Let us know how it goes AJ!

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Get the Hipshot style A bridge. Its so superior to the style B :)

5. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island

I really wish I could have matched the Sad color, but I've always loved the classic LPB too. I told Nino if the LPB will look anything like this...
    [​IMG]

... I'll be happy.

I'm not sure about the matching headstock. I've never been a fan, plus I wouldn't want to cover up that beautiful birdseye Maple.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I guess that Sad is a bit darker, but the colors are pretty close in my eyes. Beautiful either way.

I get what you're saying about covering that birdseye but Im a sucker for matching headstocks. Ive got some birdseye on the neck of my 4 string shoreline gold Valenti and Im cool with looking at the back of the headstock to see the figure. Hell, thats what I see most of the time Im playing anyways.

Im curious to hear your reviews of the electronics when its done... but I guess I have to wait a bit for that. I was thinking about Nordstrand pickups for the green one but I decided to go EMG.

7. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Absolutely.