Specs for EA VL series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jive1, Jun 4, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I am in the market for some used Euphonic Audio VL series cabs, namely the VL110,VL108 and VL208. I can't seem to find specs on the cabs other than their power handling. Does anyone have any info on their frequency range, sensitivty, dimensions, weight, etc. ?

Any help would be appreciated, since, I don't have any EA dealers near by.

Thanks in advance
  2. VL108
    H-13 1/2"
    W-14 1/2
    D-10 1/2

H-13 3/4"
    W-17 1/2"
    D-14 1/2"

18 1/2"
    17 1/2"
  3. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    While we're on the subject, does anyone have specs. on the VL210B? How did the "B" improve on the VL210?
  4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The 210B came with the 105oz magnets.
  5. Are the sensitivity specs for the VL208 above correct? The EA VL series has a reputation for being flat but inefficient (like Acmes). Yet 99db does not sound inefficient to me (I think Acmes are around 90db). The new EA NL210 (when it comes out!) is supposed to be 100db. What's going on here? Did the VL series get a bad rap for needing a ton of power or is there something about the above specs that I'm missing.
  6. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    The specs. that Bassboy quoted are the same as those posted on the old website. To my knowlege, EA has never been accused of fudging the spec. numbers. I think 99dB is an accurate rating for the 208.

Acme's B2 and B4 are 93dB and 96dB, respectively.

Still wondering about 210B specs.
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I did some A/B tests with my Low-B1 and EA VL-110, and I'd say the EA was about 6dB more sensitive than the Acme. This is because with one on each side of the amp, I had to have the Acme gain channel 3dB higher to equalize the volume. And, the Acme was 4 ohm where the EA was 8 ohm, so it was getting another 3dB boost that way.

This fits with the 90dB spec for the Acme and the 97dB spec for the EA - that 1dB could easily have been there.

Now, 97dB for a bass guitar cab still isn't so high. There's a big difference between that and 100 - double the power required. The Acmes are still in a league of their own as far as power requirements, but the EA VL-series are/were still fairly hungry. I've fed my two VL-110s 900 watts and it was about the right level (loud gig).
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have found that my VL-208's sound better at lower power than my VL-210B's. The VL-210B's don't really open up in the upper mids until you start to really push them. In fact, at the point when many cabs would be crying for momma and starting to fart out, the VL-210B's just keep sounding better and better. By contrast, the VL-208's will eventually start to stress out when pushed too hard. They do like headroom, though.

The specs that I saw for the VL-series cabs, though, had them all (non-B version VL-210) listed as 95db.

9. Swingfingers#2

Aug 25, 2003
    There is a pretty big difference between 95db and 99db (for the VL208). Tombowlus, I think I read that you own both the VL208 and an Epifani T112 (rated at 100db?). How do these 2 cabs compare efficiency wise? (...and soundwise?)
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    While the T-112 is definitely more efficient, I don't really notice a huge difference. Plus, the VL-208 (and all of my EA cabs) project very well, so once you stand back a ways, the VL-208 will keep up pretty well. Sonically, these are very different speakers. The T-112 is not mid-scooped compared to some of the other 1x12's out there, but it sure sounds like it is lacking in mids when compared to the VL-208. The VL-208 is very smooth and present across the midrange. However, compared to the T-112, it lacks the serious low end and the sweet Epifani highs. You never think that the VL-208 is lacking any high end until you plug in an Epifani. Of course, on upright you probably wouldn't notice, but you will on electric.

In truth, now that I think about it, the T-112 and the VL-208 have very complementary strong points. Maybe I will try pairing them up. I did perform once with a mixed Epi-EA rig (see photo below) before all of my EA gear came in. And I was very happy with the results. Man, that rig moved a lot of air!

I will say, though, that the VL-208 more so than any other speaker that I have tried gains apparent low end by stacking multiple speakers. Two VL-208's have a nice amount of low end, where one feels a little shy on the E string. Adding a third VL-208, though, and there is a significant transformation. Now, there is great, balanced lows all the way down to the low B. Very solid.