Specs for the Mach 1 & 2 Wal basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MadPink, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Im just wondering about the specs for the above. they didn't really give any dimensions or anything of that nature about the bass on there website.
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    "Specs" isn't very specific--what are you wanting to know, specifically?

3. The Mach 1 has 21 fret neck (I believe, maybe just 20) and is only available with four strings. The Mach 2 is available in 4-6 strings versions, has 24 frets and a slimmer body shape than the Mach 1. There are probably differences in neck shapes et c, as well, due to the customer's wishes.
    That's all I have to say, from not really knowing anything on the subject.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

There's a beautiful blue 5-string Mach III for sale at the Bass Palace. I wanted to know string spacing but I was disappointed that specs weren't listed on the Wal site. Took me forever to find out string spacing on 5-string Mach III basses.

P.S. the owner says that this blue Wal is actually "on hold", but that isn't indicated in the ad... go figure.
  5. I found this information in an old Bassist magazine (October 1996) I had lying around. It's taken from a review of a "Wal 5-String", i e probably an early Mach 2:

Scale length: 864 mm
    Nut width: 47 mm
    depth at first fret: 19 mm
    width at 12th fret: 64 mm
    depth at 12th fret: 22 mm
    width at top fret: 72 mm
    String spacing:-
    At nut: 7.5 mm
    At bridge: 15 mm"

Hope this might be of some help, even though you'll have to translate everything from the metric system if you live in the States.
  6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Actually, there are three different body styles for the 4-string: the original 21-fret Mach I, the 24-fret Mach II which came out in the late 80's, and the slimmer Mach III, which came out in the mid 90's. The 5-string comes in the Mach II and III body styles, and the 6 only comes in the Mach III body style.
    (Some folks call the first 5-string shape the Mach I and the second one the Mach II, since there was no 21-fret 5, but that nomenclature always seemed pretty confusing with the Mach I 5 being shaped like the Mach II 4 and the Mach II 5 being shaped like the Mach III 4...)

The review from Bassist is actually an early Mach III, and the dimensions aren't exactly right. For instance, the string spacing at the bridge is actually 17mm (a touch less than 11/16"), not 15mm. I don't have a metric tape measure handy, but the width at the nut of the 5's is about 1-7/8". The width of the body for the Mach I/II is 13-1/2", and the Mach III is 12-1/2", at least for the 4.