Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Specs for the spector NS2000/4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslax, Jun 22, 2003.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    hey everyone, i have the Spector NS2000/4, the neckthrough version of the new "Q" series. im looking for new pickups and so im tryn to find the specs for this bass, but no luck on the spector site (are these great basses discontinued?). anyone know the specs or where i can find them?

thanks

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    As far as I know they discontinued the neck thru basses - like the one you have! The only neck thru basses in the professional series left are the REX basses

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they've been discontinued. I bought an NS2000/5 neckthru a few months back, and I haven't seen them around much since.

What is it that you wanted to know?

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Also own an NS2000/5.

I you you want new pups for the 2k/4, stock, they are EMG-HZs, which are the same shell as am EMG 35, which is also the Bartolini shape M34. Both of those companies offer a wide range of pikcups and preamps.

Also, the preamp isn't a "real" EMG preamp. It's a
    Korean made EMG-2D. It's not the a good preamp, either. An USA EMG preamp (BTS) is a great preamp, and would be really cool matched up with an EMG 35P4 in the neck and a 35CS in the bridge (it's a neck pup used for Modulus, but in the bridge, it'd be deeper than a Jazz...and you mentioned you want a Dub sound...)

Help?

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Excellent basses! I have a Q5 myself- didn't have the extra cash or the NT when I bought it. You are correct- the 20o0/5 and 2000/4 NT models were discontinued and replaced by the pricier Rebop series that stands between the standard Czech and Korean models as far as quality and whatnot. All teh specs for teh /4 and /5 are identical to that of the Q4 and Q5 except for the NT design. As brendan said, all the standards sized (EMG template) dual-humbucker soapbar-style pickups will fit it. There are several options available. I'm fairly happy with the EMG-hz in mine,a nd will get Czech spector later on instead of pulling an upgrade.:)

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

That's weird! My REX 2000/5 came with a US EMG BTS Preamp - along with the EMG Hz pups! I just thought that the entire professional series did!

Wiring mine up to run at 18 volts did wonders for the sound - gave the preamp lots more headroom to operate!

7. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    actually that does help a lot, because of these crummy HZs i havent really been considering getting higher end EMGs, i was planning on some Barts and proably like a carvin preamp, but your idea sounds really good too. is there anywhere online i can order this kind of thing? MF/ZZounds/Music123 dont have it and i dont really know where else to look.

thanks

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't let the HZs turn you off from EMG. Would a Squire make you never play a MIA Fender? Naw.

www.basscentral.com Bass Central is great for dealing with Bartolini, and www.bassnw.com will supply you with EMGs if you want.

Also, Carvin preamps aren't so hot. I'd get a Bart, EMG, Seymore Duncan, Demeter or Aguilar preamp before I got a Carvin. It's servicable, but you'd be much happier with a higher grade preamp.

Spector and EMGs are like peas in a pod, I'd go EMG or Bassline (Seymore Duncan) before Bartolini.

9. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i dont know if you read my post in the P/U section, but i was talking about the "moderness" of the EMGs that i have noticed, and how i was looking for something warmer and thicker. i figuerd based on what i have heard that the barts would cover this pretty well. knowing that, do you still think the EMGs would be a good bet?

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ah. No, I missed that post. Yes, EMGs can bit a bit modern sounding, but I think if you combined an EMG pickup with say, an Aguilar preamp, you'd be set.

That Spector of yours is all maple, I believe, so anything you put in there is gonna be pretty bright sounding. Bartolini would be thicker overall, and personally, I think they aren't as good a match.

But that's my opinion, not your truth. Go with your gut.

11. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    just to ask you about the bart you mentioned, looking at the bass page http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s4.htm there seem to be many different ones under the M34CBC heading...what are all the differnt models?

also, if i decided to go with the EMGs, could i stick with my current preamp or would i need a different one that could handle the active pickups?

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Download the .pdf catalog. It's got all the M34 variations (I believe there are upwards of 10...)

If you got a new set of EMG pups, yeah, you'd want a new preamp. It would work with just the upgraded pups and the stock preamp, but that's like putting rims and a body kit on a Yugo.

Heck, if anything, I'd replace the preamp first, and maybe get pickups later. That EMG-2D is a travesty of a preamp.

13. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Discontinued? Whatever for? Now I feel special that I own one :) You gotta love the severe twang of cranking the bridge pickup to full and the neck PUP to nothing. Does this mean the 2k4's are gonna go up in resale price?

Er, sorry to interrupt, Brendan. Your advice is killer. Now I appreciate you, you big hairy mammoth of a bassist.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Discontinued as of 2000, I believe, possibly 2001. No, there were far to many produced and sold for them to really grow in value. It's just gonna be another bass.

And, flatery will get you nowhere.

15. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU

Bugger that for a joke.

Bra, I seen pictures of you. Trust me, I'm not trying to get anywhere. :p

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Are you saying you don't find me attractive?

17. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Well, I hope you have a lovely personality.

18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I DO!

OOps...

Hey Brendan,,, as of right now, your post count is "6666".

Weird huh.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Why don't you love me!? :bawl:

20. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Okay, this is the first I'm hearing of the Pro series having anything other than the EMG BTS tone circuit. Maybe the earlier models did, but the last time the specs were posted on the Spectorbass.com website (late 2002/early 2003, which is when they were discontinued) they posted that it shipped with the BTS tone circuit. Both my bolt on and neck thru Professional series 5 strings have it.

There are a couple of things you can try before changing the pickups. One, upgrade to 18v. A lot of us here have tried that with great results. Do a search, you'll find the link.

The other thing is to change the dip switches on the tone circuit (found in the control cavity of the bass) and see how that effects your town.

Hope that helps, cheers!