1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Specs of Gauss 3580 8 ohm driver

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jcburn, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Hi all - bought a Fender BXR bass rig years ago, and the bloke I bought it from threw in an old handmade cab with a 15" speaker.
    The cab is quite large and bulky, but it sounds very thick and loud and although I use it at home for a prac amp I've been thinking of making up a new box that would fit easier into my car for acoustic gigs instead of my bulky/heavy 410's.
    Having said that after owning it for 10+ years only tonight did I unscrew it to look at the brand name, etc.
    The info on the back of the driver states that it is a Gauss loudspeaker model 3580, 8 ohm. No other info.
    Just wondering if anyone has any more info, including wattage, that could help me design a cab for it. My internet searching didn'y really yield much.
    I gotta admit the driver is in great nick. It must be 20 years old but looks new.
    Thanks in advance.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Wattage is the least of your concerns when designing a cab. All the other T/S specs are what matter. Finding them from a company that went out of business so long ago may be impossible. All I've been able to find on the 3580 is an Fs of 25Hz, and xmax of 1.6mm. That 1.6mm is a deal breaker, the minimum acceptable is twice that.

3. Don't think I have any spec sheets anymore, sorry. Cetec Gauss was sold to University Sound (division of Altec Lansing), which then sold to EV and the last buyer I know of the design is McCauley.

4. Thanks for the info Bill. I found elsewhere that it is a 200 watt speaker.
    What do you mean by 1.6mm xmax being a deal breaker? I just dont have a comprehension of these things. It sounds good to me at low/acoustic levels.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Output is limited by excursion, how far the cone can move. 1.6mm is adequate for a midrange driver or guitar driver, but not even close for electric bass.

Sure, but it won't at stage levels. Today's better drivers have xmax values in the 6 to 9mm range. That means it would take four 3580s to do what one Eminence 3015 will do, as a for instance.