Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Specs of my about-to-be-new-Hanewinckel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geshel, Feb 8, 2002.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'm getting ready to order a new 6-string fretless Hanewinckel. Tell me what you think (not that you'll change my mind. . . :) )

- 6-string fretless
    - bolt-on neck
    - Ceres body style
    - mahogany semi-hollow body (nothing drastic just a few hollow chambers)
    - figured shedua top
    - 7-piece padauk and maple neck (mostly padauk)
    - pau ferro fingerboard w/ maple lines
    - Bart soapbars
    - RMC piezo pickups
    - NTMB2 3-band EQ + piezo blend

I keep getting tempted by a cocobolo fingerboard, but from what I've heard pau ferro will sound a little better and be more stable.

Soon the waiting will begin! I'll try to post pics of it when I get them.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like a killer instrumen! Though I myself am partial to the Draken and Fusion body styles.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I really like the Draken, but I decided on Ceres eventually (my other favorite) so it'll match my fretted 6. Also, the Draken might be mistaken for a Marleaux (no shame in that), whereas the Ceres is destinctly Hanewinckel.

Oh, I also forgot to mention, custom coil-split switch that, when enabled, mixes between the "outer" coils (in series) and the "inner" coils (likewise). Basically cross-wires the coil pairs between pickups, so it's not really a split I guess (can never have a single coil by itself). It's a bit of an experiment, I've got my fretted 6 wired like that but the neck PU is a quad-coil (so it's "P" and "reverse P" for that one), and the neck PU will be closer to the bridge on the fretless.

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Geshel,

Sounds great to me. Just wondering if ebony fingerboard was ever one of your considerations. I don't have a fretless, but from what I read on this board, fretless really shines with an ebony board.

Peace,

James

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'm with malthumb. Pau Ferro is great...but it's still second to ebony. :D

Sounds like a great bass you've got going! Can't wait to see pictures of them both.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well, I went with Pete's recommendation on the fretboard, my requirement was: growl. From what I've seen he's mostly used pau ferro for fretlesses, and his fretlesses have been held in very high regards. I've got an ebony on the current fretless (Carvin), and it does work very well. But I feel pretty secure going with the pau ferro.

Both, Angus? If you mean the fretted Hanewinckel I've had that for a year or so now, and I'd be happy to post another pic of it. :)

Waiting for the new one is going to be torture.

;)

[​IMG]

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Looks great! When can I see the FRONT, though? :D

Pau Ferro is definitely one of the top woods for fretboards. If ebony ran out, I wouldn't be too unhappy with settling for Pau Ferro.

Hanewinckel looks like he's making some amazing basses. No new in 2004, no new in 2004, no new in 2004...:D

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Happy to oblige. This is the pic Pete sent me to show the electronics layout, hence the titles. I'll have to get a good camera before the new one arrives so I can take lots of pictures. . . :)

[​IMG]

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    :eek:
    Very beautiful! Can't wait to see the new one! Update often. :D

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    OK, change of plan: forget the semi-hollow, I went with a countoured body instead of maximum hollowness, and in the end there wasn't much to hollow anyway. That opened up the possibilities for top material (Pete didn't suggest a burl on a semi-hollow), so now I'm going to go with some burled spalted maple:

[​IMG]

The shedua was very nice, but the maple is calling me. :)

Also got a digital camera, so I've got some better pics of the fretted bass. This one's my favorite so far:

[​IMG]

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Geshel, I hope you're prepared to take the blame for causing GAS!

Beautiful top, BTW!

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    That maple for the top is GORGEOUS!
    I would have moved the body outline to the right (in the photo) to get more of the spalting into the body.

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Isn't that a nice one though? I'm hoping I understood his email correctly and that one is *mine*. :)

The neck blank is glued up. It's like the one on the left in this pic, but the maple is flamed:

[​IMG]

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Just got this today! The body glued and cut, ready to be carved:

[​IMG]

15. That top is beautiful!

Are you going to coat the fretboard? A polyester finish?

Great looking bass!
    Jeff

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Thanks!

I'd thought about that. . .what I'm going to do is just play it with the unfinished fingerboard for a while first, see how that goes.

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    More new pictures! :D :D

Back of the neck, with an oiled scrap block:

[​IMG]

I've started an album on Yahoo photos, at

photos.yahoo.com/taylorsherman

There's a picture of what the maple will look like when finished ... ooh lala!

18. OK, having the back of the headstock done in spalted veneer is just WRONG WRONG WRONG.

:D

19. Geshel,

That is a beautiful bass!! Spalted maple is a funny thing. It CAN look really georgeous (like yours) or it can look like someone threw up on it!!

I am also considering having a fretless bass made. I wanted to get your thoughts on electronics. I know Hanewinkel uses Bartolinis. Does he give you a choice in the Bart product line, or does he just say "use this, it'll sound good"? Also, have you considered Diamondwood as your fingerboard material? Zon, Roscoe, Moses, and Curbow each use it. I have a Zon fretless and like it's durability more than just "wood".

Can you tell us what you paid for this instrument?

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Thanks man - glad the top doesn't make you nauseous. :)

I think Pete is open to whatever pickups and electronics you want to use. The standard are indeed Bartolini soapbars and the electronics listed on the web page. Lane Poors used to be an option back when they were available.

It's a pretty custom shop, if you're interested give him a call or email and ask. We went over a lot of the options on my basses - I got a lot of good feedback (was going to get Lane Poors on the fretted originally - after talking with him I changed my mind, and I'm glad I did).

I never really thought about Diamondwood. I've used roundwounds on my fretless Carvin (ebony) for years and it doesn't show any wear (it's probably got about two years worth of good, solid playing on it). I think pau ferro is just as hardy. If I want a more agressive sound, I can get the wood fingerboard coated eventually.