1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Specs on micro-cl cab drivers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ubernator, Apr 23, 2015.

1. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Need raw specs if possible.

Basically impedance and true power handling. Who makes them would be nice to know but not as important.

They would have to be 4 or 16 ohm drivers, hopefully 16 for what I might try with this cab in the future.

With the grille off they look beefier than 50w drivers, but I have not seen the backs of them yet and don't plan to take the cab apart till I know if it is worth it or needed.

True specifications, not educated guess speculations please. Jimmy? Anyone?

Thanks!

2. I do not think you will find those specs publically available.

3. Those drivers were engineered (OEM) to handle what the Micro CL head can deliver. Ampeg would not likely spend more on drivers (that would handle more power, including excursion limited) than what the Micro CL can deliver. That's a pretty sure bet. If you are thinking about using the CL cab with a more powerful amp, there is no problem, as long as you listen for audible signs of stress and make use of the volume control. If you are thinking of a driver upgrade, there are many drivers that will work well in a cab that size (about 1.3 cf per driver), especially if it is ported.

Maybe you are not asking all the right questions to reach your intended goal. It would help if you would tell us what you are trying to do: more bass, louder, more aggressive mids, etc.).

B-string likes this.
  4. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    My intended goal is not to do any of those things other than use with a more powerful amp, but not on it's own, with other cabs, so hearing the signs of stress might not be so easy, especially in a loud band.

You would be surprised what companies will do when bulk purchases are involved. Many times it is cheaper to use an existing driver, such as one used in a lower end 400w 4-10 and 200w 2-10 that they buy in bulk, rather than start ordering 50w drivers that are just going into one new product, when it would be cheaper to just order more of the 100w ones. Also, the requirement for ported cab is usually a bigger box than for sealed cabs, so this smaller sealed cab could use the same driver that is also used in a larger ported cab.

If that was the case I could consider leaving it at 8ohm, but if it is truly 50w drivers, than 32ohm would be the better option. Which is a moot point if the cab uses 4ohm drivers in series. Hoping for 16 ohm drivers.

For those wondering ***? Mixing Impedances is a good way to manipulate distribution of power in a rig, in this case an 8ohm Goliath III, 16 ohm rewired Goliath jr II and say this little ampeg at 32ohms would make a more evenly distributed load 8-10 modular, than say leaving the jr at 4 and the ampeg at 8, which overpowers both 2-10s and underpowers the 4-10. Which is why I rewired the jr to 16, 4 only made sense to maximise the old redhead combo to a 2 ohm 4x10 rig. Jr II did not come in 8ohm and I got a screaming deal on it years back.

So more importantly, 4 or 16 ohm drivers, less importantly, actual power rating. Either way, wouldn't want to pair this with a Goliath at 8ohms, wouldnt want each getting the same amount of power. However if it was really 200w, I could put my jr back to 4 and run the 2 together, as a 410 with the ampeg as is.

Just want to know what I am working with so I know what my options are

5. I'm sorry Astro Sonic asked.

Pull one of the speakers it will have the impedance on the back and with the part number you might get the T/S data from Eminence for the OEM spec. Ampeg specs all their drivers, what platform (model) they are built on is usually picked by the manufacturer. "Bulk" buys are made a necessity for Ampeg/LOUD (or any OEM) by Eminence to retool for special requirements. Minimum order is usually 100-1000 units, higher quantities get better per piece price and usually shipped on a monthly or quarterly scheduled delivery. The manufacturer (like Eminence) agrees to NOT sell the OEM spec driver directly to anyone other than the OEM.

6. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Had to roll your eyes through another idiotic schmoe sounding ubernator post? I have been on both sides of that fence, so I know how many of you probably think of me.

Anyway, yeah I will probably have to take one out... I was hoping someone had some ampeg insider info so I wouldn't have to.

I'm sorry I asked too, or should I say I'm sorry I answered. I know how schmoe it sounds to want to mix a cheap low end ampeg with swr cabs, but what I have is what I have and I can't buy anything new until some drastic positive things come my way. Also, I DID experience some of the "mixing" issues with the jrII when it was at 4ohms, 16 ohms tamed them. (and the fact that 4did not work with my wm10).

Speakerimpedance.co.uk has a calculator that not only calculates total impedance, but also the power distribution of each cabinet as well.

7. Why not just pull one of the drivers (it's very easy) and see for yourself? Then contact the OEM for the specs, as B-string suggested. With the grill off, play through them while watching the cone excursion and listening for signs of stress. That can at least give you a ballpark feel for what they can take.

Time to get your hands dirty...

B-string likes this.
  8. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Consider me almost homeless. I live on a boat so "home" testing is not an option like it used to be. At best it would be me pulling out a driver and writing down model #

Considering I have already rewired my jr, among several other projects over the years when I had a land dwelling and disposable income, this is not an issue of being afraid to get hands dirty.

Actually saved a bit on the jr because the horn was doa and I was able to get a price reduction. It turned out one of the jumpers in the crossover was broken, I reconnected it and bam, full function. No need to buy another hf driver or crossover. Yeah I'm not new to this or afraid to get my hands dirty in anyway. It's a hassle but I might take the cab on the boat and take out a driver, better idea than doing it in public view out of the hatchback, and finding my windows broken and amps gone the next day (marina is in a bad area, car break ins are common).

But no way can I do an excursion test. I have to keep it low enough to where I didn't even hear my wm10 driver was starting to go when I had to test that 6 mos ago. Wasn't till I was at the store to try an amp that I was able to get it loud enough or that, and that was way lower than an excursion test would be.

Yeah I am in a challenged situation, nomal folks plugged into the fiat petrodollar slavelabor matrix just don't understand

9. Well I am certainly sorry about your situation and understand all too well the need for the mental escape. I was all too close to your position recently and even had to "go dark" from the internet, media and telecommunications. My escape was repairing what I could (of old projects), selling the treasures and even tools. I know all too well.

10. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Micro CL speakers are lighter duty than what's in the SVT 210av, and the 210av uses medium duty speakers, and the cab is rated to blow at 200w. I don't know all the specs, but I'm positive they're two 4 ohm speakers in the Micro CL cab. AstroSonic is right, though...they use speakers rated to take what the head can put out and maybe a little more.

ubernator likes this.
  12. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Test 2:

Crap, guess I can only paste pics that I copied off this site, oh well, damn older iPhone

13. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Thanks Jimmy, 4 Ohm defeats my idea anyway, but I might pull one to see just in case.

Is the weight difference between the cabs due to a heavier wood or heavier speaker magnets in the CL, it feels heavier than my rumble 200 even.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Heavier wood, I believe.

15. That's what...............nevermind :D

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh, you!

B-string likes this.
  17. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Got my hands dirty, wood is the weight culprit, it is dense fiberboard.

However to my joy they are not 4 ohms they are 16. There is no clear impedance rating on the speakers, but the cab is wired parallel , so that matter is set, and my lower back is feeling it, because getting it over the side of the boat is the issue.

The speakers are marked 1016B120 and B217 below that.

Logic would tell me 1016 is the size and impedance, b is for bass and 120 is the max making it a 60w continuous speaker, 120w cabinet conservatively rated at 100w.

B217 could either be a batch number, or some other model specific code. No other markings or brands, would only be sure it is an eminence if ampeg "only" uses eminence in their cabs.

Not going to assume the power rating, but at least I know the impedance. It will be a long while until I am able to start using my bigger stuff anyway, so no rush in finding outthe true max/rms.

It is the perfect output match to
    Rumble 200 combo, and looks
    Cool with it too.

Would also work well at 32ohms as a top cab over Goliath and Goliath jr, power going to this cab would be in the 50-80w range with my other heads, so no worries about blowing it. Main goal would be more low mid-high mid at head level, while the Goliath on the floor carries the brunt of the load, with the jr in the middle doIng it's thing too

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Dang, that will teach me to assume! The 210av cabs are two 4 ohm speakers. I figured the CL would be the same. I have brought shame to my family. There is only one solution...

hara-kiri-japan-guide-01.

19. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    No Jimmy, don't do it!

I dont think you are bound by samurai code anyway.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm not?

Phew!