Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Specs On This 12" Good or Bad for Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I noticed that a lot of cab manufactures are now using Neo speakers. Eminence offers the one linked below. I also notice that a lot of these cab makers use Eminence speakers (Avatar, Aggie, etc, etc) so I asume that they are using this speaker or a close variant. Wonder if this is better for bas guitar applications than the Delta and I also wonder of the Avatar 2x12 cab is sized right for this speaker (I'm obviously considering one). Avatar outter dimensions are: 27H x 25W x 16.5D

Link to specs on 12" Eminence Neo Speaker

Thanks

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That is the driver being used in probably 90% of the neo cabs out there.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Specs read good, and the 1.25 cu/ft per speaker for the box ought to be close...

4. 1.25 cubic feet per driver is pure wishful thinking for this driver.

Download my spreadsheet, and check out SBB4, QB3 and Optimal vented alignments... all require 3+ cubic feet per driver. Putting this driver into 1.25 cubic feet cuts the nuts off the bottom end, with a phat hump in the midbass (80 ~ 120 Hz).

The Xmax is awfully short, and so is the Xmech (mechanical damage limit). My calculations show it only takes 39 watts in SBB4 to exceed Xmax in the 4-string bass range.

If this is your thing, go for it. If not, look elsewhere. There are better Neo 12" than the Eminence.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "There are better Neo 12" than the Eminence."

Like what? Educate me:)

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I would also like to know. In fact, just a list of makes and models would be useful. I can plug in the Thiele-Small parameters myself. Who else makes neo drivers?

7. Download the spread sheet.

Sort the Comments column (DN) and check out the Neo drivers.

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Just about everyone who makes drivers, and they all have sites with posted specs.
    Almost anything is, the Delta is a guitar driver.
    They pretty much use a generic cab size but many drivers are made to operate in that size box and tuning as it is so common. You can improve on performance though if you tailor the box to fit the driver specs instead of the other way around.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Interestingly the Eminence 10" neo looks pretty good, but the 12 and 15 spec up quite badly in the excursion department. I wonder why Eminence did that?

10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It appears that all three use the same voice coil and probably the same magnet structure as well, with larger frames and cones. I suspect that decision was made to get a full line of neo drivers on the market with minimal tooling costs and maximum speed. I also suspect that they'll make major improvements when they introduce a second generation line-up.

11. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    I also am following this thread and would like to see the "what other drivers?" question answered by some smart people.

also I note the link http://www.ofgb.org/ is broken, at least for now [while I'm trying it.]

what does ashdown use in their 12's? what about Eden's 12's?

z

12. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    I use the deltalite in a 1 X 12 , ported cab of my own design. The mid is a eminence 6" alpha and the tweeter is a peerless 811647. The crossover is an eminence board, 3 way; 500 hz - 3.5Khz

Am fully satisfied with this driver. The cab is roughly 600mm wide, 400 tall and 400 deep. Works very well; and the weight saving is obvious.

I use this with a Soundtech PS802 bridged, and the preamp is either a Alembic F1X or a trace V type. I get enough volume and the tone is much better than a Goliath I had around.