1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Specs vs feel... Which specs really matter most?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vindibona1, May 16, 2018.

1. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I've now got three 5 stringers, all different, a Yamaha TRBX605, Ibanez BTB657 and 2010 Fender MIM Jazz. All feel different than each other, but in different ways than I expected. I guess what's driving me to write this is that what I've found is that no individual spec by itself determined how any of these instruments actually felt in total.

5string_specs.

The Yamaha for example feels radically different than the other two basses as one might think, but the specs fooled me. Perhaps part of it is the 8 pound weight that makes it feel so much smaller than the other two. One would expect the left hand would notice a 4-5mm starting at the nut. But what surprised me is that the string spacing at 18mm is the same as the Fender yet the Fender feels to the right hand very similar to the 19mm Ibanez's string spacing. However the radius of the Fender really cuts down the difference in feel of the left hand between it and the Yamaha. However the Ibanez and Fender feel more similar than either of these and the Yamaha. Confusing, I know.

The biggest difference and most confusing is that the string spacing feels significantly closer together on the Yamaha while it measures identically to the Fender. Is it the difference in radius? Is it because Fender fingerboard sits higher off the body? Is it because either my right hand has to mover right or the bass to the left to get the same thumb strike at the base of the fingerboards?

Lastly I think I'm dealing with the perception of sound that I'm trying to work through. In my mind the Yamaha doesn't sound as beefy as the other two heavier basses, but as I try to listen separately from feel I'm not hearing anything that would suggest less beef in the sound. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks for taking time to read this and share your thoughts.

2. mobdirt

mobdirt

Jun 14, 2017
    its the nut width, the strings become narrower at the nut on the yamaha than on the fender

3. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    That's what I have to assume, but we're talking 4mm over a 34" length and space between individual strings at the nut are less than 1mm difference. And while the left hand feels more compact naturally it feels like the right hand is impacted more than the numbers would indicate. But as I'm playing this morning I'm beginning to recognize how radius is playing in. When you have more of an arc as the 9.5" radius does it gives the right hand a little more access to each string as they are not lined up exactly parallel with each other which I think makes it feel like there's more room than there would be if the radius was very flat like the Yamaha. While the Ibanez also has a flat radius it also provides more room at the bridge and the nut. My only wish for the Ibanez was that they would roll the fingerboard edges a touch. It would help provide the illusion of a more rounded radius without changing the feel on the fingerboard itelf. I may do that one day, but maple (as mine is) is much more difficult to do than rosewood because of the lacquer/poly/whatever finish is on there.

4. mobdirt

mobdirt

Jun 14, 2017
    i can feel the difference between a jb and a precision nut
    yes the radius (both neck and finger board) makes a difference too
    i have never smoothed out an edge of a fingerboard, i wouldnt know which angle etc, to begin with

5. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    All my Strats, my Tele and one of my Les Pauls have had the fingerboard edges relieved. You wouldn't believe the difference in feel it makes. Perhaps it's the curvature of my fingers, and possibly one of the reasons I HATE the new MIMs. Too sharp and edge angle feels just irritates the crap out of the side of my index finger. Here's what the edge of a *new* MIM looks like with the PF fingerboard.

mobdirt likes this.