1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    Awesome bass!

jack7265, andynj65 and Torn Bassist like this.
  2. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    I know he signs them pretty early in the process....I wonder if the pickup cavity is drilled yet when he signs them. It might be hard to tell if its a ns2 or ns4 at that stage...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    superdick2112 and andynj65 like this.
  3. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    I don't remember exactly, but it seems like there namm show was in town and those basses made a pit stop at his house for photos.....cool gig...

iceboxbass and andynj65 like this.
  4. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Thank You, I think I will play it tomorrow

5. backtobass

backtobass Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Has any of you replaced the Legend SSD pickups with EMGs? I assume you have but I have a few questions. My goal is to minimize the difference when swapping between my Euro4 and my Legend 4x while still having SOME difference.

1. Did you replace them with the regular EMGs or with the EMG X series?

2. I have a Euro4 with the P/J set up and I can't decide if I should get 35 P/J to be similar or 35DCs for a little diversity. I appreciate and understand that responses to this will be opinionated.

3. If the X series, will they work with the Tonepump Jr.?

4. I will be getting one of the last batch of Ultimate Mini-Haz clones ordered for my Euro4, is there an advantage in swapping the Tonepump from the Euro4 into the Legend to replace the Tonepump Jr.?

If it helps for anything requiring an opinion, I mainly play pop rock, pop punk, and 80s Hair Metal. And yes Eddie Jackson from Operation Mindcrime and Empire days is my idol.

leto, jack7265, Nocturnal and 3 others like this.
  6. Wolf Tower 5

Wolf Tower 5 Still looking for all the answers. Supporting Member

May 29, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    IMG_0639.JPG

Ok. I have done a ton of swapping electronics so I've got some experience. First, the Non Trim TonePump needs to go.......... adding active pickups or even good passive pups are only going to give you a very hot and unusable. I would take the Trim Tonepump from the Euro and put it in the legend. As far as regular EMGs or X series, that's up to you. I loved the CSXs. To me they had an awesome tone. But others feel that they aren't as powerful as the DCs, which they aren't. DCS are the big gut punchers and the X series takes a step further down gut punch lane. I like the combo of P/DC or P/CS.

Just remember that active pickups take the 25k volume pots and the passive are the 500k pots. And don't forget your Tone Pump wiring layout.

7. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I was planning on modding the electronics in my 4X as well. I'm on the list for one of Sheldon's final batch of Haz pre clones but am debating which pickups. My initial thought is dual EMG P pickups because I have always liked that setup in a bass. The P/DC combo does sound interesting tho.

Thanks for asking this question 'backtobass" and thanks for the great info Wolf Tower.

andynj65, backtobass and jack7265 like this.
  8. jack7265

jack7265 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La

Yesterday, I put a set of Dimarzio Model P & J pickups, along with a Darkglass Tone Capsule, in my 2004 Legend 4. It sounds great with this setup. The Legend 4 from 2004-2005 used the standard bridge size J pickup, but I used the neck pickup. It was a minor modification by rounding off the edges of the pickup routing so the pickup screw offsets would fit. With the closer spacing of the strings at the bridge, as opposed to an NS-2, the neck sized J pickup is better suited for the smaller spacing, because the pickup poles on the neck pickup are slightly closer together than the bridge pickup.

2016-09-25.JPG

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  9. backtobass

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD

I'm on the list for a Sheldon preamp too but was going to use it in my Euro 4. Then I was debating if should transplant the Euro 4 tone pump into the 4x, get a MM haz clone, or beg to be put on Sheldon's list twice. I think that just sounds selfish, but I'm thinking about it!

You're right. I was thinking P/J but P/DC may be a more distinct sound from the Euro at that point.

10. Wolf Tower 5

Wolf Tower 5 Still looking for all the answers. Supporting Member

May 29, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    My old 4x had the EMG BT pre with EMG DCs. That was a brutal setup. My Rex4pro had the CSXs. I personally felt that the CSXs handled adding of effects (distortion, chorus Reverb) better. The DCs were just so powerful on their own that you have to be very delicate when coloring the sound. 35Ps are great pickups to have in both positions. For whatever reason that P/P setup gives a warm grind to the sound of the bass.

11. BritBass 2

BritBass 2

Jan 20, 2014
    Many years ago the figured maple option was $150 . How times have changed.

iceboxbass, andynj65 and jack7265 like this.
  12. jack7265

jack7265 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    After looking at the Black Pearl and Blue Dream, I sure would like to have a bass made with wood like that. But, like Chris said, it would cost a small fortune, if you can even get a piece of wood looking like the wood used on those basses.

BritBass 2 and andynj65 like this.
  13. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    A warm grind sounds like what I am going for. I can always experiment with the DC's down the road. Either way the bass will sound great with anything I put in it.

Wolf Tower 5, backtobass and jack7265 like this.
  14. backtobass

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks for the pointers! I have the Sheldon Ultimate Mini-HAZ Clone on order with him, and I think he sends it with pots and everything. After all the options, I think I'm going to take your suggestion and put the Tonepump into the Legend +/- upgrading it to 18v. To upgrade, do you just stick another 9v harness in series? Is it that easy?

As far as the pickups, I'm leaning towards Nocturnal's idea of P/P though not by much.

Nocturnal likes this.
  15. 4stringer711

4stringer711

Sep 24, 2016
    Hi folks.
    I'm new to the board. Happy to be among so many Spector owners. I have been playing for 25+ years mostly in the basement as a hobby. In 2001 I got a great deal on a 1994 NS-4 with an opaque black gloss finish and have been a happy Spector owner ever since. I am hoping all the knowledge and experience here can help me with 3 things.

1. Is it possible to refinish my bass? If so can anyone make a recommendation? The NS-4 is supposed to have some nice quilted maple and I would like to see it without buying a new bass.
    2. Any suggested electronic changes? Maybe it's the maple woods, but the sound seems too bright. I feel like every ridge in my finger needs to be just perfect. I never minded in the past because I used a lot of pedals. I recently started playing in a contemporary worship band and would like a softer warm tone. Currently I turn the treble down, the bass up, and mostly toward the neck pickup and still not quite right.
    3. Looking to expand to a 5-string. I'm not likely to have cash for another America made any time soon so looking for more economical recommendations. Considering Coda Pro or Spectorcore but would like to hear some of your experiences.
    Thanks looking forward to making some great connections.

iceboxbass likes this.
  16. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    1. Yes. There are plenty of guys here that have had Spectors refinished. I don't know where to have it done, I'll let someone else chime in on that. If you can't see the quilt on in now...There is no telling what it looks like.
    2. If it's a US NS4, It's hard to improve the preamp in that bass. If it has EMG DC (soapbar) pickups, you have some options. EMG makes P and J style pickups that fit in that same housing. Just swap them out.
    3. Spectorcores are cool. I played one once and liked it. If I was in the market for a 5 string, I'd go for a Euro fiver. I like those a lot.

Post a photo of your NS4 here..We'd love to see it!

17. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    This bass should be a SSD NS4 which is the Spector NS2, I would also think that it has the HAZ preamp with active P/J EMG's....What strings are on this bass?

18. 4stringer711

4stringer711

Sep 24, 2016
    It is an SSD NS-4. It has the EMG-HZ pickups. 18v preamp. I use DR Black Beauties light gauge.

No pic or SN info for at least a few days. It's in the shop for a barrel jack replacement.

19. BritBass 2

BritBass 2

Jan 20, 2014
    On one of the Spector Hang YouTube videos ,Stuart mentioned during the Brooklyn years about the easy access to 5A grade figured maple. Over the last thirty years various boutique companies have elevated the aesthetic qualities utilising this once common wood. Probably one of the reasons why Stuart now offers a much broader range .

Wolf Tower 5, andynj65 and jack7265 like this.
  20. gpx1200

gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    that doesn't add up, an SSD era NS-4 should have P/J style pickups with a 9V Haz pre, a modern style NS-4 will have DC's (soap bar size humbuckers) and an 18V Haz, unless someone has already changed them before you got it.
    not all solid color NS basses have nice quilted maple under the paint but I have seen pics of some that do, its kind of a gamble to sand it down and see what you have you might wind up with some really nice figuring or you might wind up painting it a solid color again this is an example of a euro that was painted white from the factory, it has a small knot on its face but it also has some flame and some decent looking grain, I was tempted to hit it with some stain just to see how much more flame I could bring out but it was getting painted white again and its not mine to play around with
    20160828_181145. 20160829_111630. 20160829_111647.
    as for getting a mellower tone, id start with your strings to me light strings sound pretty thin maybe try steping up to some mediums also I use DR highbeems and they are some of the brightest strings I know of, you might want to try another type of string, a lot of guys in the club like the DR lowriders.
    if you do decide to go with the refinish I can help get it done, I did the blue NS-4 in my avatar and also this SSD NS-4crfm but neither of them wer finished in solid colors from the factory
    20160824_171723_resized_1.

iceboxbass, 99Z3 and andynj65 like this.