1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Cool, mine is a Jazz.

iceboxbass and gidbass like this.
  2. Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Nice additions Glenn, how are they sounding?

Breslin dp likes this.
  3. gclark51

gclark51 Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2014
    Vilonia, AR
    None
    The J output on the Kramer is a little weak. Might need to replace the pup. They both fell great! That's the big thing for me. Sound/tone cane be adjusted several ways. The feel of an instrument is what it is. It either works or don't. These work!!:hyper:

andynj65, iceboxbass, Thundar and 3 others like this.
  4. Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    18V in the SSD?

5. jack7265

jack7265 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    I've added one so far this year, with another one on the way...

NS-2 DW

2018-04-06 (2).JPG

NS-2 DW, Bahama Blue, wings...about another four months from now, give or take...

thumbnail (2)_2.

Breslin dp, leto, andynj65 and 7 others like this.
  6. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Yes on my Coda-5LX DLX.

jack7265 likes this.
  7. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    It seems like you would have had the option to choose your top. When I was choosing the wings for my last build, Spector directed me to a web page that I viewed to choose the slabs of wood. They had slabs for solid quilted maple wings, and slabs for quilted maple tops. I had chosen the slabs that I wanted, then I was informed that that particulars set of slabs was no longer available. I was then sent pictures of three sets of slabs that were available, and the three slabs didn't meet the criteria for the wings that I wanted. So, Spector looked for a set of wings that was in line with what I was looking for, and sourced out a set of quilted maple slabs.

Judging by that experience, it didn't appear that the web page I viewed for the slabs of wood was being kept up to reflect the inventory for wood that they actually had. For this current build, I wasn't directed to any web page to view the wing options. They sent pictures of three different options.

andynj65 likes this.
  8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Now THATS funny!

That should be a Spector advertising poster with the title:
    "How your other basses might feel when a Spector joins the family".

And just for a good measure or two....
    Have a couple of Warwicks facing the wall too.

9. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Gold Kn
    Gold knobs are always a problem. I have them on all of my NS4s. The shafts on the Volume and Blend are standard. But the shafts on the stacked Bass and Treble are an off size for most stacking knobs. In fact I had to measure the shafts and find something close to fit.

Then I took some Aluminum tape (same stuff the AC repair guys use on the vents in your home), and cut and wrapped the shafts to maintain a good fit before tightening the set screws. Works great but needs some precise cutting and wrapping. The tape is actually Aluminum so it acts like a self-adhering shim on the shaft. One could use Brass shim stock and measure with a caliper (BTW I used to be a machinist many years ago). But that is a lot of effort, to just make something fit on two tiny shafts that take no high-speed tension.

I wish I could remember who the knobs came from. It took some time to find them. Sure wish Spector would get knobs made so you could just add that to the order, but so far not a big interest for them. Such a shame, since the Tuners and Bridge are gold. BTW I have never cared for the Black Knobs on a bass with Gold Hardware. Maybe it's just me, but makes a very expensive bass look cheap to me.

andynj65, iceboxbass and Wolf Tower 5 like this.
  10. gclark51

Dec 25, 2014
    Vilonia, AR
    None
    Running it at 9v due to passive pups. It was that way when JP got it and he checked with Jimmy, who said it was right.

andynj65 likes this.
  11. gclark51

Dec 25, 2014
    Vilonia, AR
    None
    Uh oh. Forgot the Timbre I got in Feb from Music go Round in FW.

12. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Very cool review Eddie:thumbsup: Thank you! I think you've talked me into trying a set. I've been known to spend bucks on a set of TI strings and they lasted a few years. So I'm not afraid to spend on some top quality strings that'll last more than a year. I want to put them on my metallic purple Fender 5r, which Gold is on the opposite side of color spectrum chart of purple which Gold will compliment the purple.

13. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    In these parts, your Purple with Gold would be a big hit with the LSU fans...:thumbsup:

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  14. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Mind you, I've never been disappointed with the shop making the selection as I realize that they're wanting to create the BEST possible piece of "playable art" for the customer. I feel that I couldn't have selected any better premium quilted maple slab for that Coda than what the Spector shop selected for me.:) My eyes popped out of their socket and mouth dropped to the floor when I first laid my eyes on Big Blue.

15. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    Agreed...:thumbsup:

16. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I agree with you eddie...that has been my first impression.

17. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Found their 5 string set...
    Optima Unique Studio Gold Electric Bass (45-130), 5-String, Full Set

Eddie LeBlanc and gclark51 like this.
  18. gclark51

Dec 25, 2014
    Vilonia, AR
    None
    iceboxbass likes this.
  19. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Hey Spector Family,

I unfortunately need to sell my beloved Spector. Bills need to be paid. I wanted to list it here first to my fellow Spector lovers.

It’s a ‘05 Rebop Deluxe 5. It’s loaded with EMG 40DC’s and a 3 band SNC pre wired for +18V. She sounds truly amazing. I also had a brass nut installed. A few months back I had the body professionally refinished in a matte red finish. Absolutely beautiful. I’m asking $1000 plus shipping. I will even through in a brand new hard shell case. Any questions or picture requests please pm me.

E8E7EF32-A509-48FD-B49C-9C4BB8CB2933. 129B27B9-98DD-4A75-A7E1-51028787EAB0. A14E65CE-C988-46C8-9C98-7C91F001BBB4.

Thanks

Shaun

20. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    Don't worry. Marriage, is the number one cause of divorce...

gidbass likes this.