1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    That would be a major job taking off the Timbre bridge. Suppose it could be done, but likely a costly thing at the Luthier's. Problem is, it may effect the resonance of the Timbre. That thing does have a very powerful sound just used an an acoustic. And I'd hate to goof that up, just trying to get a different set of strings on it.

Right now, I've sent an email to PJ also about trying to find a whole set of extra Bridge Pins. That way, I could have a set to try and file to fit a .105 string or tapewound.

Seems my first email, was not understood and Ann Marie spoke to Jimmy. But he thought I was speaking about tuners not fitting the string. I did send a reply back and said, no, I'm talking about the other end, and how strings fit in the bridge. So far no reply. If it takes to long to hear something, maybe I'll just call.

Oh yeah, been reading all I can on Acoustic Pin style bridges and getting strings mounted properly. Never had to worry about that before with the Michael Kelly. There is an art to getting that string to seat onto the soundboard, and then get the pin in properly. As long as the ball end will fit in the hole, the pin does nothing more than anchor the string against the sound board, and not really meant to hold a lot of pressure on that ball of the string. There are even ways to add a spacer on the ball to pull it further into the hole and still hold against the soundboard. So the groove in the pin could be filled just to allow the string to slip through.
    So us old farts learn something new once in a while. LOL.

Bridge Pin.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    iceboxbass likes this.
  2. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    The Rebop is a Euro and these come with the Tonepump preamp with internal trim pot and EMG MM humbucker pickup using a push/pull for single or dual coil modes, most of this information can be found on the Spectorbass website. As you noted this bass has the bolt on neck.

kbakerde likes this.
  3. Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Hum, I always thought that you could order a pin size for the string type you select...hopefully Jimmy will know the best number to order.

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It depends on what vintage (for preamp) and model (pickup/pickups) as he never said it was one of the MM models.
    Also, unless something has changed, they don't come stock with the MM-TW pickup you describe.
    Usually the MM-Hz (passive, no push/pull-single/dual coil) is the stock pup on a MM model.

Yes Euro. Bassically these are the Euro-bolt ons.

iceboxbass and The Rage like this.
  5. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    I don't think Bridge Pins are that variable. In fact, I haven't found anything on line except, a standard Black Plastic set or a White Plastic set. I can find all sorts of ones for guitars in rosewood, ebony, and even brass; but AEBs only plastic so far.

Torn Bassist and iceboxbass like this.
  6. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    The one I'm looking at is a dual pickup model with soapbars, not the MM sized one.

Torn Bassist likes this.
  7. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Stock it would have come with EMG HZ pickups and a tone pump preamp (either with or without a trim pot depending on the vintage). Great basses for the money, and grossly undervalued on the used market. Love my pair. Pickups and hardware (tuners and nut) are not as high quality as their neck through counterparts, but those can be easily upgraded if required.

6938DB85-80FC-4C4F-9E8B-DECA45A3FFD6.

iceboxbass, andynj65, e.rich and 6 others like this.
  8. jack7265

jack7265 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    Thanks, Michael. Both the NS-2 and NS-2o are Kramer era basses, and have the same bridge design. In that respect, the bass is still period correct. I thought it would be more fitting to have the best looking bridge on the NS-2.

iceboxbass and andynj65 like this.
  9. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    Thanks, I've been looking for quite a while for a bass like this. But, I wasn't expecting to find one with the quilted maple wings. I was expecting flamed maple wings, which were on the picture that was in the add.

andynj65 and superdick2112 like this.
  10. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    OK, All you Timbre owners. I got to talk with Jimmy on the phone about strings and the Pin Bridge.

1st of all, low tension strings, only. But many options there not just Phosphor Bronze strings from the Acoustic string makers.

o Next if the ball end wont fit through the bridge hole, it can be drilled or reamed out to allow that ball end to go in.
    o There needs to be a groove on the bridge side (towards the nut) that can accommodate the string radius. It can be filed out if necessary.

Oh need to be real careful with all this reaming and filing on that bridge.

o Then the bridge pin needs to have a groove that will allow that string to fit on it's radius. So essentially the groove on the bridge and sound board fits half of the String diameter, and the bridge pin fits the other half.

The string ball needs to be secured against the bridge sound plate, inside the bass, underneath. The Pin is only there to keep it in place. Tension with the angle and the tuner does the rest.

So where the string sits inside against the sound plate is the most important thing. Some install an acoustic string with a slight bend to make sure the ball seats against underneath that sound board. The pin is not there to be jammed in to really hold much tension, only there to fill the insertion hole.

I ordered a second set of pins off Amazon, so if I needed to file the groove I could. Only thing I could find is plastic ones that fit AEBs. I can find no one making exotic wood pins for AEBs.

Once I get the set in, I'll start trying strings. BTW, Jimmy did say, all this Acoustic Bass Pin Bridge stuff is real new to most of us, but it is isn't hard to learn the basics. So be careful in reaming anything, or filing out any pins. If you are trying to hammer in a pin, that is not the thing to do. If it don't fit, don't force it.

And they are still working with the China manufacturer to maintain standards on those basses. But they do have a hell of a sound, and can smoke a lot of what is out there just in their acoustic tone and volume.

All I can say is Jimmy Eppard is the man. And a pleasure that Ann Marie will just hand him the phone. The folks in the Woodstock shop are great folks.

This photo is what the whole thing is about.

Bridge Pin.

And the underside of a typical acoustic Pin style bridge (just a 6 string)
    bridge-plate-pin.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  11. Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    True, so many changes for the Rebop..

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  12. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Australia
    You can pull those pickups out and put EMG 40 (I like P5 and DC, but I'm goig to try P5 and J) in either regular or X, you can fit an EMG BQS with vol/vol into the cavity fairly easily, or you can put an SNCpr 2-band in by shufflng the knobs a little bit. Lots of easy to do options.

I have two rebops 5s, a zebrano and a fancy wood one and they're great.

13. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    Has anyone gotten a bridge gold plated? If so, about how much to do it, and what caret gold plating was used? I would like to get the bridge I took off my Kramer Era NS-2, and replaced by the bridge that was on my NS-2o, gold plated.

2018-08-06 (5).JPG

14. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I’ve used this company for nickle plating on Moldes for work. Their prices were very reasonable for what I needed. They were also pretty helpful in guiding me through all of the various options they offer.

Electroplating & Plating Services in Montreal. Electro Loh

While you have the bridge off, could you measure the footprint? I’m wondering how much bigger it is compared to a Euro bridge.

Torn Bassist, iceboxbass and jack7265 like this.
  15. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    The bridge is on the bass, but it's still easy enough to measure, 3 31/32" x 1 15/16"

Torn Bassist likes this.
  16. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Thanks!
    That’s actually very close. I guess the corners being more rounded just makes the Euro bridge look smaller.

jack7265 likes this.
  17. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    I measured my USA NS-2 bridge, and it appears to be slightly larger, but not much; 4"x2"

iceboxbass likes this.
  18. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Thanks everyone. I missed out unfortunately. GC online had a natural Rebop, price dropped to $499, I was trying to get more pics and info, but someone else was faster than I.

jack7265 likes this.
  19. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    Hope you have better luck next time. I saw a bass that was way under priced, and it had only been 4 minutes that it had been posted. I did some quick reading, and checking pictures, and bought it within 9 minutes of posting. I was lucky no one else got it before I did.

kbakerde likes this.
  20. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Thanks. I have two 4 strings now, I really want to get another 5 string in my arsenal. But I keep going back and forth between a Spector, Warwick, or a crazy Warmoth build. Can’t decide haha.

jack7265 likes this.