1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. jack7265

jack7265 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    My 5 stringer is a Spector Legend Classic, around 2014. I put in a pair of custom Lindy Fralin split coil jazz pickups, a Darkglass Tone Capsule and made a brass nut for it, and it's a great sounding low end Spector bass...The full picture of the bass is before I put in the brass nut.

2018-04-06 (2).JPG

2018-04-06 (5).JPG

2. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Nice! Yeah my first Spector was a Legend. I had that and an FNA, loved them both very much. I think with a full electronics upgrade the Legend would have been a beast. Definitely thought about that too. Might do that in the future perhaps. I have a body for a Warmoth build based on the FNA design, jazz body with a MM5 and a jazz pickup. Just need the neck and all electronics.

jack7265 likes this.
  3. dpaul

dpaul Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Florence, NJ
    That would’ve been me, my apologies. After having to unload my Spector’s earlier in the year (including a beautiful Forte 5 that broke my heart) to help cover my wife’s medical costs, I was hoping to land an inexpensive Spector 5 string to get my feet back in the ‘Spector’ pool. I hope another inexpensive beauty comes along for you :)

4. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    I knew it was one of you jerks! Jk. Enjoy the bass. I couldn’t get a good look of the condition. So I hope it works out for you

Wolf Tower 5, jack7265 and dpaul like this.
  5. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Yeah I realize with an acoustic bridge it involves ungluing the old bridge, gluing and clamping the new bridge and making sure of the alignment but with the Timbre bridge you also have the piezo to deal with which can be very tricky.

It'll be interesting to hear what Jimmy comes back with.

Interesting fact you provided on acoustic bridge pins.
    One of the things that always bothered me with acoustic bridges is the groove that the string makes/cuts into the bridge itself.

6. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Thank you Eddie for pursuing this with the Timbre bass. I did not know about the soundboard and how the string ball needs to rest on it, and putting a slight bend in the ball end of the string would help hold it onto the soundboard. I've been most likely doing it wrong all of this time by just sliding the bridge pin onto the string to the string ball and then inserting it into the bridge...Ha...I didn't know. I've even watched videos on how to string an AEB and they've never went into that kind of detail that Jimmy and you have shared. Thanks again my friend!:thumbsup::cool: Love your endepthness in looking into things.:)

andynj65, Eddie LeBlanc and jack7265 like this.
  7. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Hum, maybe a good idea for someone to start a side business with some alternate string slots and materials.....

Eddie LeBlanc and iceboxbass like this.
  8. Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Hum, I would clean them and put them back on the respective basses to keep them vintage...but, I'm positive someone will speak up about a plater as that would definitely make it sparkle a lot more!

iceboxbass and jack7265 like this.
  9. Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Most everyone in this room knows a lot about these basses and are ready to jump when a deal presents itself, sometimes you have to dive in and grab the deal before spending time checking the water! lol

iceboxbass likes this.
  10. jack7265

jack7265 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    If I hadn't told you that I swapped out the bridges, would you have known?...:D Don't tell anyone, and no one will no the difference...;)

gclark51 likes this.
  11. Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    I wouldn't have known at all so I'm positive that it would sneak past any collector as well....good point Jack!

12. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    Here is an NS-5 with a Euro bridge sitting in the bridge pocket.
    BridgePocket. Bridges.

13. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

If you guys will recall, I purchased an SSD-Woodstock-era Spector NS-5 from Bass Central a few months ago. The bass was sold for parts as the headstock had cracked right off the body during a shipping mishap. Anyway, I bought the bass thinking I could possibly have it repaired. Well, I sent it to Sweetwater's repair shop as they have experience with this type of repair (for example, last year they reattached Dweezil's Zappa's SG headstock). They called me yesterday with bad news - the bass cannot be repaired. Well, they said it might be possible, but it would run north of $850 so I passed. SO, they'll be shipping the bass back to me.

Now I'm considering what to do with it. I could sell some or all of the hardware and try and recoup some of my losses. I'm also thinking of maybe turning the bass into wall art - maybe hang it on my studio wall... In that case, I guess I could always use wood glue to reattach the headstock to the neck for presentation purposes as it wouldn't be played... I guess I just bought a piece of Spector art! :(

zltoflm9cm1topllpn5a.

14. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    I have a similar mess. Broke a truss rod and down hill from there. At one point I thought I’d rout a neck pocket for some TBD bolt on Spector neck. But a sh*t finish strip attempt killed that plan. Yours is a good looking piece and I’d bet a rout job wouldn’t be too bad relative to the repair estimate. I have a Legend neck I had planned on using.

japhy4529 likes this.
  15. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Awwwww:( Maybe check with some other experienced Luthiers that other club members have used with great success? I wouldn't give up quite yet. I know that there's some very strong wood repair glue for fixing things such as this. Seems I've seen a repair video on this on StewMac's video site. You've got nothing to lose at this point.
    Found StewMac video...
    Gluing a broken peghead | stewmac.com

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    japhy4529 likes this.
  16. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    This break cannot be fixed by glueing alone it needs additional plugging with at least 2 dowels. There is a very experienced luthier (focused on Rickenbacker): Paul Wilczynski. Look up his webpage "Studio California" or email him at "rickacoustics@me.com". If somebody can do it then he!

andynj65 and japhy4529 like this.
  17. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    Reasonably priced as well!

andynj65 and japhy4529 like this.
  18. dpaul

dpaul Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Florence, NJ
    Yeah, I would definitely get a second opinion. Plenty of skilled luthiers out there. If for some chance you decide to part it out though, let me know. I’m on the hunt for some EMG 40 size pickups and preamp upgrades

andynj65, iceboxbass and japhy4529 like this.
  19. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Thanks. That doesn’t look as close as the other measurements. I wonder if the footprint size has varied over time.

20. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Headless conversion?

IMO, the right fix would be to take the fretboard off, remove the trus rod, cut the end clean (on an angle), add a new headstock via a scarf joint. As the OP said, yes it can be fixed, but it’s not an inexpensive repair.