1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    But... will it still sound like a SPECTOR?

2. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    You said that these basses have not been modified so I would think that the Korean Haz is still in this bass, if you elect to change the pickups to active rather than the passive EMG's you will be able to explore this sound and OH MY moment first....this would be the direction I would personally go if it was my choice, 18V is a great option as well but I normally run this with the DC pickups.

iceboxbass likes this.
  3. diegom

diegom

Jun 18, 2008
    I don't think anything can remove the "spectorness" of a Spector bass.
    I have 2 NS2000/4. One, my first one, has the passive EMG pickups. For a long time, I ran it passive, VVTT, until I got money for a preamp. The sound was definitely "Spector". Not as refined or detailed as an active preamp, but the bloodline was unmistakable! The attack was sharp, even as the notes got a bit 'pillowy".
    I got the money for the preamp. I decided on the EMG BTC, since I had seen it offered as an options on some Spectors. The preamp gave me more! Since I could add bass and treble, I could accentuate the attack and bring the thunder with the bass. Mind you, the pickups are still passive.

Fast forward a couple of years, I got another NS2000/4. This one had been modded and babied! The pickups EMG35P and 35DC, closer to an ns2, with the PJ pickup configuration. The cherry on top, an SNC Haz 18v preamp!! The attitude on this bass is unstoppable! In fact, it is a bit too much for certain projects. Nobody puts Baby in a corner!! That's when the other bass comes in. I feel like the BTC is more "hi-fi", a tamer, more muti-purpose preamp. The SNC Haz is Spector, all the way.

TL;DR
    A Spector will pretty much always sound like a Spector, regardless of pickups or preamps.
    Everything that you are planning to do is reversible. Give it a shot!

Diego

4. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
    My NS2a has been modified with EMG X and an EMG BQC preamp (no haz copy in mine, but a good Noll preamp) and runnning at 18 v.
    I'd like to put an haz copy in it, but honestly it just sounds great as it is.

iceboxbass and Torn Bassist like this.
  5. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    Cool. But... once again... will I just be making it into a EURO? I already have 2 of those, although... 1 is an SSD.

6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    So, got the Coda!

Notice the “5th” pot is missing a knob??? Read on.....
    So, I get it home, fiddling around and the pot with the missing knob isn’t doing anything.
    I’m turning it up and down and up and down.
    Nothing.
    I was stumped.
    So I pop off the control cavity....it’s not even wired up. LoL
    BUT!!!
    Reason why is someone put a Sadowsky preamp in it!!!

The pickups are the Aguilar humcancelling. Man, this combination of those pickups and that preamp is killer.

Attached Files:

Holdsg, GHOST AT, iceboxbass and 10 others like this.
  7. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    That top is Killer!

iceboxbass likes this.
  8. jack7265

jack7265 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    Nice bass...:thumbsup:

9. grimmchaos

grimmchaos Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Albany, NY
    If you install the active EMGs with the original preamp (assuming it is still in there), you aren't just making a Euro, you will have something quite close to an NS2. Granted that set of EMG's are newer than what they used in the late 80s, and there are slight differences between the US HAZ and Korean HAZ, but you would have a mini NS2. The Euros sound great, don't get me wrong, but they sound different compared to the US basses, both the ones built back in the 80s and even now.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 7:21 AM
  10. gclark51

gclark51 Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2014
    Vilonia, AR
    None
    So.... get another NS2A and put a HAZ or a copy in it. Variety is the spice of life.

iceboxbass, Torn Bassist and The Rage like this.
  11. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
    Eh... There aren't many NS2A where I live ^^
    And I have bought a euro5lx just few months ago...

12. bobunit

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    Setup complete.
    IMG_20181108_184030_01.

13. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Endorsing artist: Remic microphones
    who's siggy on the headstock?

14. bobunit

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    Henrik Sandelin of Avatar. Killer player and very nice guy.

15. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

The NS4CRFM arrived yesterday. It was filthy dirty and the strings were nasty. I added some Dunlop lemon oil to the fingerboard and it was nearly dry in minutes! Talk about a thirsty bass. Anyway, underneath all the dirt and grime is a very nice bass! Also, the neck is really thin, like Kramer-era NS-2 thin. I'm very pleased about this as I prefer the thinner necks. The bass has EMG pickups and what appears to be an EMG preamp. Not sure if anyone can confirm this based upon the picture below. The sound of the pre is okay, but I'm definitely going to swap it out for a US HAZ, once I can locate one. If anyone has one for sale, please let me know.

One issue - The only new strings I had here was a set of Dunlop Super Brights. While the A and G are nice and bright as expected, the E and D are dull and lifeless in comparison. I'm wondering if the two dull strings are just defective or if there's something going on with the bass. BTW, this has nothing to do with the electronics as I noticed this while the bass was unplugged. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pics or it didn't happen, natch...

llYa3ECpRvOMXovX9icCeQ. fwiQMJmoTUi7vxb7oOCxSQ. LuV9+52QSIKzd8oOFarxxQ. %gRlk53xSIuJAIXLrQHGFg. vTovnnptSleCgsYjAmMvgQ. Gprs%mzoQRG4M0NKVyVuUw.

16. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Oh and one other thing. Does anyone know what tuners I can drop in here without having to take a reamer to the holes? I tried a set of Gotoh's that I have here, but the holes weren't wide enough. Will new Schallers fit?

17. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Endorsing artist: Remic microphones
    japhy4529 likes this.
  18. Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    I cant answer that other than at one time the NS2A was the first production bass, this version also has the Korean Haz which is a very good/great preamp....so, you asked if you should modify because you already have the active pickups and I say it would be worth doing it to complete the exploration you had for yourself! What it will create is a sound exploration and a difference that might be comparable to the other basses that you have...or, it could create something unique and worth the soldering.

iceboxbass likes this.
  19. Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    That is an EMG preamp and it has the toggle switches that will allow you to adjust as needed, if the strings are dead prior to amplification then all you can do is make sure some of the grime didn't get stuck into the nut, bridge areas and also remove and wipe them off in case you picked something up from your cleaning of the board....if this doesn't cure the problem then its time to move into another set and see if you can return the defects.

andynj65, iceboxbass and japhy4529 like this.
  20. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Sorry...I can’t be bought off for Sable.:D
    Nope...HEY, I’ve played Sableo_OI’m still highly interested and waiting in line:D...and BTW, where do I fall in the pecking order? Hmmm? :eyebrow: :roflmao: But yeah...I’m still waiting in line:smug::bassist: