1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. CJL

CJL Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dallas
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up removing everything and installing Geezers. It’s wired VVT and the fourth knob is a dummy. The original preamp had been removed and the prior owner had attempted to wire ective EMG's with no preamp and although it worked, all the wiring was weird and you could not actually turn the bass all the way down.

The bass is a bit of a closet queen and has the original case. It has no serial number...not sure if that means anything. The last NS2A’s I have owned had a serial number on the rear plate. Anyway, it sounds great and looks great. I have attached a few photos here. Thanks again for everyone’s help.
    1BDE37FE-A964-456E-AF85-7ABA4465172D. 3A60B64B-86E6-4655-AF75-2AC3B6885FCD. F534C116-CA1C-4A51-8F72-795CCE949BA1.
    E5CE772F-AD27-45FD-AD27-15C66A26A5C7.

2. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice ! Ok so how’s it sound with GZRs? Can you post a clip ? I have an NS2A I’ve been thinking about swapping the pickups for some GZRs. I love them in the P Bass I have em in

3. How did you get a 9.5" radius? I inquired, and PJ told I could get a DW neck and slightly thinner on a NS2, but the radius is 16".

4. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    I ordered it. Over a year ago. A USA custom build NS4.

They can do it, and know how to do it. It did cost, and it took over 6 months to get. Maybe mention my name to PJ. I'm sure he may remember.

I think they just beveled a Neck Thru blank, before the build. I know Ann Marie and Jimmy know it well. In fact they had to wait to ship it to me due to issues in our area of Texas with Hurricane Harvey. So maybe call them at the shop or send an email. (PM me if you want better contact info)

5. e.rich

e.rich undersecretary of enablement Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    W. Newbury, MA
    I have one with super singles and a Darkglass ToneCapsule. And freakin' love it. I bought it from Lee (Husky123) who bought it from Matt (MDBass), who ordered it from Spector with the Kramer neck shave. Probably my favorite Spector I've ever owned, save Swampy (pictured...just because). The Forte is like the swiss army knife of basses, covering just about every type of situation that I can throw at her. Lee nailed the description in the original ad:

This bass has the wonderfully warm and fat Aguilar Super Singles and the Darkglass Tone Capsule preamp. With the warm nature of the pickups in concert with the cutting aggressive preamp, they are a match made in heaven. I much preferred this tone even over my NS 2’s. The master volume has a push/pull pot for active/passive mode. It sound fabulous passive as well. Tonewise, it can sound like a slightly warmer version of an NS 2 but has all the aggressive nature is so chosen with the Darkglass preamp. Where this bass separates itself is when the neck is soloed. It does an amazing P bass rendition but with more clarity, punch and sustain.

SOLD - Spector Forte 4 SS

Disclosure: I'm very much smitten with Darkglass in general recently. I'm running the Forte with a DG Microtubes M-500 through a Genzler Magellan 112. Sound is so immense for such a compact package.

IMG_2835.JPG IMG_2833.JPG swamp_chrome.

6. CJL

CJL Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dallas
    It sounds really good...very punchy but not too much (if that makes sense). The bridge pickup is a little thin when siloed but I don’t generally solo the bridge anyway so I am not that worried about it.

Unfortunately I don’t really have any way to record anything but I can say that I don’t think you will be disappointed.

hbabels likes this.
  7. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

8. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Very clean work!

9. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Welcome to the club.

YaPeL likes this.
  10. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Reno / Sparks, NV

A big thank you goes out to Mo, Carey, Adrian and everyone else at Nordstrand Audio!

Super excellent work and a super fast turnaround!
    My bass shipped back to me today and I'll have it on Saturday!

I highly recommend these guys to do ANY work you want or need done!

You can trust them 100% with any bass!

11. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    This has the American case so I'm guessing that its known as the no serial number bass that was built prior to the serials being stamped on the plastic cover, I see that it also doesn't have a volute milled behind the headstock which is also an indication of build time and when this bass was made. These are the cream of the crop....

andynj65 and CJL like this.
  12. Maiden Bass

Feb 11, 2007
    Reno / Sparks, NV
    Oh yeah!

The new hum cancelling Zen Blades, along with their 3 band preamp and full shielding!
    :bassist:

IMG_9667.
    IMG_9669.JPG

13. CJL

CJL Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dallas
    Thanks for the info. It really is a sweet bass.

Torn Bassist and andynj65 like this.
  14. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Great find.

15. 4stringer711

4stringer711

Sep 24, 2016
    Wow! Amazing turn around. Are you close to CA? I will go the Nordsrand route too, just havent gotten there yet.

Maiden Bass likes this.
  16. Maiden Bass

Feb 11, 2007
    Reno / Sparks, NV

Yes, I am in Nevada, but even if you are farther away, sending your bass to Nordstrand is really worth it! :thumbsup:

17. Good deal there is hope yet, because of the radius is that why you had to go with the dot inlay?

18. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Yes, the dot inlay was necessary due to the beveled radius.
    BTW the nut is still the straight brass nut on NS4s necks. It is not arched for a 9.5 inch radius. But still plays well and is set up perfect for me. I did request the thin neck profile and she is a slick fretless, but the standard 1.67 inch width at the nut (not a Fender Jazz or DW 1.5 inch width.)

19. Interesting, is it almost like a compound radius, where it's 9.5" up until the nut or is it still 9.5" under the nut?

20. 4stringer711

4stringer711

Sep 24, 2016
    Totally worth it. I was impressed with the turn around time. I have been talking to those guys about new pups, pre, and series-parallel switches. I was expecting it to be gone for a month so I have been putting off the work.
    Part of that may be because extra routing could be involved to move out one of the batteries or go to 9v. And I would need to have a new knob made. That vendor is also in CA. I have wooden knobs. So that adds an extra layer.
    I'll still be curious to hear about the comparisons ...

Maiden Bass likes this.