1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. jack7265

jack7265 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    The DW neck is my favorite, too...congratulations...:thumbsup:

2. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    Here's an odd one that maybe someone has an answer to. From my local Craigslist: Spector Quilted Maple 4 String Bass

I can't figure out what model it is. I went onto Spector's website and looked at their resource page and some things aren't adding up. The headstock says made in Korea, but if you look at the electronics, they're indicative of models made in China with the SSD logo on them. That's not to say someone didn't replace the EMGs with those, but I was just curious why. Different sound?

Also, the fretboard is rosewood and nowhere on the resource page does it mention that. All it says is a 3 piece maple neck and I don't know if that includes the fretboard or not.

There's also a 5 String Made in Korea one on my CL and the pickups look like they have the SS logo on them. Seller says they're active pickups.

I only ask about the first bass because I really like the maple look and I'm actually kind of considering buying it.

Any help/education for a lost soul is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

3. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thank you!! I am really surprised how much of a difference there is.

jack7265 likes this.
  4. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    On my last custom build, I requested a "C" shaped DW neck, and it came out fantastic. Close to the feel of a Fender Jazz neck.

andynj65 and imdkoz like this.
  5. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    Looks like a Legend Classic.

Spector Legend 4 Classic Electric Bass Natural Gloss

iceboxbass likes this.
  6. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Just received a Euro Wimbish in trade earlier this week. Loving it so far. Probably the punchiest, most resonant bass I own. One thing I noticed is that the G seems to be a little thin sounding. Wondering if swapping out the Tone Pump will help this or if it’s the pickups (or both) ?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  7. grimmchaos

grimmchaos Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Albany, NY
    I was 95% sure those necks were finished the same as the bodies, in a gloss black stain, though I could be wrong. I can't tell from the photos posted.

iceboxbass likes this.
  8. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    jack7265 likes this.
  9. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Very nice, I like it a lot...are you positive that is bare with no finish as some have been made with a light coating as all maple surfaces should be sealed???

iceboxbass and kev451 like this.
  10. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    That's the way that I took it as it does look different as it might be unfinished for sure!

11. kev451

kev451 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    That’s thing I’m not sure every bass I’ve owned has had a finish you could was there. I had one a few years ago which had a maple neck and it had a light finish but it was noticeable. This one if it has a finish it’s extremely light barely noticeable.

Torn Bassist likes this.
  12. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    My Coda is a satin finish and does have a very light or dull surface, if you twist it in the light that comes from a window you should see a gloss that runs over the inlays.

iceboxbass and kev451 like this.
  13. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    This solved the problem with that nasty J pickup not matching the GZR P....great bass in looks as well as electronics!

iceboxbass likes this.
  14. kev451

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    I’ll try that and see if it does have a light coating. I’ve tried looking for info online about the bass but have only found what’s on Reverb for one of its siblings. And that doesn’t say either,

Torn Bassist likes this.
  15. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Sounds like the Coda, it has to be there but its definitely a difference and possibly the Euro's are using a different manufacturer for this coating...use the light from the window if possible.

kev451 likes this.
  16. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thank you!! I can't wait to get home and see how those 2 GZR's sound!

iceboxbass likes this.
  17. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    They normally wont which I believe is a mistake on the part of proper marketing as well, it should be a selling point of a bass model and to tell the truth the Coda has a very nice neck but it is satin on front as well as back with the headstock glossed.

kev451 likes this.
  18. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Picture for comparison. CareyCoda.

19. kev451

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    I’d prefer some kind of coating to protect the neck as I know sweat and dirt could get on there and possibly ruin the color and feel of the neck. I clean necks using F-one after shows and long practices. I’d still prefer a coating to protect the neck.

iceboxbass likes this.
  20. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    It's going to knock you on your butt, what is the preamp again...9V?