1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kev451

kev451 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    First off that is a bad ass bass. That blue is stunning. And the flame maple neck is gorgeous. And yeah you can tell it’s coated. Comparing it to mine I can def tell mine isn’t protected.

iceboxbass likes this.
  2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Can the Coda's be had in a PJ config?
    Way back when I had an SR5 the back was a sweet feeling oil/wax finish. Felt great and protected the neck well from oil from my hands. Maybe that'll work for you.

kev451 likes this.
  3. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    You will only use Formula 65 with a satin finish, maple requires a sealed surface so it must be there and they wouldn't ship it out so spend a moment reviewing and if you have a concern email PJ or actually the new guy can be contacted using a private message right here...scroll back and get with him on this!

iceboxbass likes this.
  4. kev451

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    Yeah upon closer inspection it’s pretty much bare wood...

Attached Files:

5. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    I just sent a message to Corey asking for assistance.

kev451 likes this.
  6. kev451

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    Awesome thank you so much ! I’ve yet to see a Spector without a coated neck of some kind so I thought it was odd. If I have to take it in to a luthier to have the neck coated with something so be it.

7. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Aguilar OBP-3 9V.

iceboxbass and Torn Bassist like this.
  8. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    I played a PJ configured Coda J bass at the Guitar House but you can always request a build to see if it works out, they at least have a program written for the J Coda if that works for you or I'm positive they can drop that very same file into the P program.

FunkySpoo likes this.
  9. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    I have this preamp in my Coda that I just pictured but with an active EMG P pickup, I like this circuit a lot but at one time felt that it needed a little more grind which will obviously be available with the GZR P pickups. Let me know your thoughts once you fire this one up....

imdkoz likes this.
  10. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    I would start with the string actually....

iceboxbass likes this.
  11. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    I will. I had the OBP-2 in the NS2A but it had the stock pickups so it was on the mellow side.

12. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    This just in from Todd, the Euro basses do NOT have a coated surface! So, your correct about what you have witnessed with this bass and the suggestion from Gary would be what I would recommend or I always use the F-One (recommended to check that F-One is acceptable to use on a maple surface from the manufacturer) on all of my open surfaced necks with each string change. The USA basses do have a sealed surface with gloss or satin.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    jack7265 likes this.
  13. jack7265

jack7265 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    What? No coated maple fretboard? I've never had a maple fretboard that wasn't sealed. And, I don't recall ever seeing a maple fretboard that wasn't sealed, when looking at the music shops.

iceboxbass likes this.
  14. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    You will need to find a nice midrange tone with the 400/800.

imdkoz likes this.
  15. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Using the same strings as all my other basses, DR Hi-Beam 45-105. G just sounds really pingy and thin compared to my other basses. E-A-D sound great. Just wondering if this is a characteristic of the Tone Pump or the EMG’s

16. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    I've even had Peavey Foundation basses that were entry level, and as far as I can recall, the maple fretboard was sealed.

17. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    F-ONE gives wood its life back. F-ONE is formulated using a complex mixture of the finest ultra refined tree and seed oils to clean, condition & protect your fretboard/fingerboard. 100% free of any lemon oil extracts, waxes, petroleum distillates, silicone, and water. We chose not to use any lemon oil because it contains d-limonene, which is a strong solvent that is used to remove paint and glue. In addition, we believe the high acidity levels of lemon oil can dry out the fretboard over time and require more frequent fretboard care. F-ONE leaves your fretboard looking new, playing great and feeling smooth, never sticky or tacky. Our revolutionary formula penetrates & conditions the wood to dry fast and give it a new look for months. We use 100% naturally produced oils and is safe on all unfinished rosewood, ebony and maple fretboards. F-ONE oil is preferred by some of the most respected repair shops in the world.

18. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    What I started using after Jeff recommended it.

andynj65 and Torn Bassist like this.
  19. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    On a side note. What is the preferred method of cleaning the matte finish on the Forte? Thanks!

20. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Did you install these strings?